huge plastic's plant

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
thomas
Railroadfan...fan

huge plastic's plant

Unread post by thomas »

had to make a pick-up this morning at MAJOR PLASTIC'S on the north side of villa grove ill. the place is served by CN/IC iowa sub. they trans load from car to truck, they make various parts for automotive, and what i got was 26 gayload tub's weighing 42.500#, they have 5 tracks that can hold 64 rail cars, at the time i was there they had 51 on the property, it was quit an operation....

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: huge plastic's plant

Unread post by CSX_CO »

thomas wrote:had to make a pick-up this morning at MAJOR PLASTIC'S on the north side of villa grove ill. the place is served by CN/IC iowa sub. they trans load from car to truck, they make various parts for automotive, and what i got was 26 gayload tub's weighing 42.500#, they have 5 tracks that can hold 64 rail cars, at the time i was there they had 51 on the property, it was quit an operation....
Um...unless I'm mistaken, Villa Grove, IL is a completely UP town. The former C&EI line from Chicago comes in and it is a crew change point for *most* of the UP's trains to and from Chicago.

Also, no plastics plant that I'm aware of in Villa Grove, IL. At least not on the north side, just corn fields.

Practice Safe CSX

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I tried googling several version of Major Plastics and Villa Grove Illinois but came up with nothing
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Interesting, Stitch. That's a lot of plastic and silicon :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Stitch
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stitch »

Whatever railroad that supplies them will bring a smile to a lot of men and the random woman :P
Railpictures.net contributions -
Railroad Picture Archives.net - http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

sorrry about that, i put the wrong town in. it's VILLA PARK ILL. not villa grove... it's between elmhurst and lombard ill. my mistake....

TrainSpottingGR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TrainSpottingGR »

Yes it is Villa Park, and here is the web site: http://www.majorprime.com/

and it is on the former IC, now CN - see the storage and distribution link above. The line runs to the northwest, and crosses under the UP main between IL rte 83 and Villa road, near North Avenue. It is a pretty major operation, I plan on trying to catch a train on that line sometime in the next couple weeks. I live in Elmhurst now, and certainly see my share of UP trains, so it would be nice to see a few on the IC/CN for a change of pace, but they only run between 6-8 trains per day, and usually while I am at work.

Crews for UP's Geneva sub typically board in Proviso and run west for a Rochelle turn at Global 3, or stay on to Clinton, IA if the train is bound for North Platte or Power River, and then return the next day. There was a time in the CNW days when they would literally switch crews from an east bound to westbound and vice-versa during a meet in western IL to avoid deadheading crews. You can see a video clip of this in the CNW Lines West DVD by Greg Scholl.

See you around soon
J.
Now residing in the ultimate railfan apartment!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wow :shock: , that's some significant storage. And the track is not neatly lined up, it just curves all around the building :o