Champaign Railfanning

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
WIsconsin Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Champaign Railfanning

Unread post by WIsconsin Railfan »

Good Day All!

First off Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I am going to be visiting my Nephew who lives in Champaign, and was wondering if anyone could share their railfanning locations. street names and locations greatly appreciated. My Nephew is is more of an airplane guy (he is an air traffic controller in Champaign). What type of action can I expect to see? What times are best to go? Thanks in advance for any information.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

I'd go to Tuscola to the 3 way diamond of the CN(IC)-UP(MP)-CSX. Not sure about parking accross from the tower anymore, but couldn't hurt to see. From Champaign take I-57 south to US 36 go west a few miles into town to South Washington st, go north a few blocks you'll see the diamond on your left at West Wilson street.

Additionally Salem IL is maybe 15 minutes east of Tuscola and home to the UP yard
[/img]http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... ois,%20USA

nssd70
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70 »

Tolono is a good spot also with the NS crossing the CN/IC. In Tuscola the tower is no longer there. When I was there in2006 I just parked in the public parking spaces that are alongside the UP main. Highway 45 follows the CN main fairly well.

Doug