BNSF's Beardstown Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
emdgp30
Railroadfan...fan

BNSF's Beardstown Sub

Unread post by emdgp30 »

I work for a railroad contractor and am working on BNSF in Litchfield, IL.

The Winston-NS diamond is going to be replaced soon; I got this pic a couple days ago when crossing the diamond.
Attachments
diamond.png
"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: BNSF's Beardstown Sub

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the information. Looking forward to your posts.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

emdgp30
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by emdgp30 »

These new CP SD70ACu's came through Litchfield,IL heading toward St Louis.
Attachments
3-26-29.png
litchfield.png
cp.png
"A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TPW4055_BNSF2184 »

Interesting 2705 was comin back north on a MEMGAL today.

emdgp30
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by emdgp30 »

Got these pics today. Eastbound BNSF train crossing over UP's double main at Girard, Illinois; I missed getting a pic of a westbound loaded taconite train about 30 minutes before.

On the way back to Girard to tie up for the night we passed under this old abandoned bridge; I have no idea what line it is
Attachments
girard.png
bridge.png

emdgp30
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by emdgp30 »

Today was the last day working on the Beardstown Sub;Monday night we begin working on the Aurora Sub in Savanna, Il. I was able to get a couple shots today.
This stone arch bridge is about a 10th of a mile to the right of the overhead bridge that I posted a pic of above.

A eastbound loaded coal train passing through Lowder, Illinois
Attachments
lowder.png
bridge 2.png

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

emdgp30 wrote:Got these pics today. Eastbound BNSF train crossing over UP's double main at Girard, Illinois; I missed getting a pic of a westbound loaded taconite train about 30 minutes before.

On the way back to Girard to tie up for the night we passed under this old abandoned bridge; I have no idea what line it is
Assuming I got the correct location :D
Former Union Pacific/Chicago and North Western
Google streetview https://goo.gl/maps/SKztqkYQgnqXwZ8d8

emdgp30
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by emdgp30 »

That is the right place; any idea when it was abandoned?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

emdgp30 wrote:That is the right place; any idea when it was abandoned?
A search of the Surface Transportation Board and Federal Register gives these dates for the Barr-Girard line.
Abandonment granted effective September 11, 1996.
Rail operations terminated October 25, 1998.
Rail removal date unknown to me. There were several extensions of the date to negotiate trail usage over that segment.

emdgp30
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by emdgp30 »

I hate seeing abandoned rail lines; I always think of the men that built them and wonder what steam power ran over them before diesels took over, although I enjoy first generation power.