Railfanning UP?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Railfanning UP?

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I was wondering how busy the stretch of UP line between Woodland Junction and Tuscola is? What is the train count? Is there any time of day that is consistently busier or is it always hit or miss?

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Railfanning UP?

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

A post in Train Orders said approximately 20 UP per day, which I think is high. My guess is closer to 14. It also says 10 on CN, and 6 Amtrak trains. That number is close, IMHO Now that the Eastern Illinois has taken over the CSX line, not sure if the 2-4 moves per day still holds.

I've been through Tuscola a few times. It isn't particularly a good place to take pictures, but it is an okay place to watch. If you seek pictures, each line through Tuscola has far better locations nearby.

If I were you and interested in that UP line, I would go up in Woodland, where the CSX splits off. Sidney, where that line crosses the NS Wabash, is in a terrible location.

Not on that line, but very nearby, is Tolono. The CNIC goes under the NS Wabash. One can hang out near the NS tracks, and still get to the CN tracks in plenty of time if something is coming.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

trainjunkie47 wrote:A post in Train Orders said approximately 20 UP per day, which I think is high. My guess is closer to 14. It also says 10 on CN, and 6 Amtrak trains. That number is close, IMHO Now that the Eastern Illinois has taken over the CSX line, not sure if the 2-4 moves per day still holds.

I've been through Tuscola a few times. It isn't particularly a good place to take pictures, but it is an okay place to watch. If you seek pictures, each line through Tuscola has far better locations nearby.

If I were you and interested in that UP line, I would go up in Woodland, where the CSX splits off. Sidney, where that line crosses the NS Wabash, is in a terrible location.

Not on that line, but very nearby, is Tolono. The CNIC goes under the NS Wabash. One can hang out near the NS tracks, and still get to the CN tracks in plenty of time if something is coming.
Thanks for the info! Tolono sounds like a neat location, so I'll probably have to check that out whenever I get back down there. Is CSX through Woodland Jct. fairly busy as well?

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

According to Chicago Rail Junctions, the CSX Woodland Sub sees approximately 15-20 trains a day, plus 2-4 Indiana Railroad trains exercising trackage rights

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

trainjunkie47 wrote:According to Chicago Rail Junctions, the CSX Woodland Sub sees approximately 15-20 trains a day, plus 2-4 Indiana Railroad trains exercising trackage rights
Thanks again! Both lines sound like the CN Flint Sub which is only 15 minutes away from me, so I'm pretty patient with those numbers. This area of Illinois has things that fulfill my other hobby interests as well, hence why I'm so interested in going out there. Anyways, thanks again for the info, it's much appreciated!