Two Police Officers Struck and Killed By South Shore Train

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Two Police Officers Struck and Killed By South Shore Train

Unread post by Jochs »

Two police officers, apparently in pursuit, were struck and killed by a South Shore Train in Chicago's South Side.
This is a developing story. The title says Metra, but the story says NICTD-Indiana South Shore Line Train.
https://wgntv.com/2018/12/17/2-people-s ... outh-side/
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Two Police Officers Struck and Killed By South Shore Tra

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I wonder if the perp they were chasing will be charged with their deaths. The electric lines are quiet trains ... and 6:20pm is too dark to see pedestrians on the rail until it is too late.

GTW6401
how bout no

Re: Two Police Officers Struck and Killed By South Shore Tra

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Unfortunately this isn't the first time a Chicago police officer was killed in this manner.

Officer Benjamin Perez (10th District) died on September 18, 2002.

Perez and his partner had received word of a drug deal being conducted near the BNSF tracks in the 2100 block of South Spaulding Avenue.

As Perez crouched on the railway overpass, a Metra train passed thru the area. Though Perez moved away from the tracks, air disturbances from the train forced him into or under it, killing him instantly. To make matters worse, the officers sister was aboard the Metra train that struck him.