Cicero or Further West?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Cicero or Further West?

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

The University is having a Fall Break for the first time in history this year and I've decided to use my AGR points to go to Chicago. I'm planning on about an hour at Roosevelt Road for Amtrak and then heading out down the Racetrack. Cicero has been on my list, but I also want to maximize train count as I'm only in town that one day, picking up 354 to head back home. Should I go to the Cicero Metra station, just east of the BNSF Cicero Terminal, or head further west to the Western Springs area?

Thanks,

-NSSD
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Cicero or Further West?

Unread post by Ypsi »

Brwyn is where I go to, it is the west of the yard. More trains go west/ come in there.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Western Springs is a nice spot to camp out, as is Hinsdale.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Dont bother with Cicero... the surrounding area is lousy and photography is limited. Ive been to Cicero many times but never without a car..

Anything west of Lavergne is pretty good. The neighborhoods get better the further west also...

I usually end up in Berwyn and Riverside. Lavergne is where the CN to Iowa crosses over BNSF.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

GTW6401 wrote:Dont bother with Cicero... the surrounding area is lousy and photography is limited. Ive been to Cicero many times but never without a car..

Anything west of Lavergne is pretty good. The neighborhoods get better the further west also...

I usually end up in Berwyn and Riverside. Lavergne is where the CN to Iowa crosses over BNSF.
I'm gonna probably end up in the Berwyn area at the minimum. Western Springs is also on the list but I'm also considering the potential commute time between there and CUS so I'm not having to leave 45 minutes earlier than I want.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I like Hinsdale, nice area and the Highland stone depot is a short walk away as is the bridge over the tracks. You can obtain a nice variety of shots, lots of trains too.