Abandoned line Hoopeston, IL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Abandoned line Hoopeston, IL

Unread post by Toppysager »

Viewing a copy of Delhorme's Indiana Atlas, I noticed two railroads running through Hoopeston, IL. One is a North/South line (CSX's heavily used ex- Chicago & Eastern Indiana) and the other seemingly an extension of the KBS from Lafayette, IN. However, I recently checked out Google Earth after considering a trip out that way only to find that the East/West line was removed West of Cheneyville, IL. I imagine this abandonment must have been fairly recent, but can anyone tell me anything specific about the line from Cheneyville-Paxton West? Any additional information about former freight service train counts, or industry would be helpful as well. Thanks!
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Abandoned line Hoopeston, IL

Unread post by chriiis »

It's the Lake Erie and Western line from Sandusky,Oh to Peoria,Il. Further west, from Gibson City through Bloomington to Peoria is still NS. East of Lafayette, it is now the NS line though Frankfort, Muncie, Portland,IN.

One source suggests the segment between Gibson City and Cheneyville was abandoned by the NW.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

C&EI=Chicago and Eastern Illinois. Did that trackage on a Sperry car. C&EI also had a branch from Hoopeston to a place called Cissna Park that ran westward. That crossed their Woodland to ST. Louis and the line southward towards Salem and Chaffee line. That's now the UP line ex MOPAC/C&EI. C&EI/MP also had a branch from Villa Grove over to Danville. I stood on top of the Sperry car and as far as the eye could see there wasn't one tree....just corn...acres and acres of corn....MILES of corn. And did I mention FLAT?
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Doktor No wrote:C&EI=Chicago and Eastern Illinois. Did that trackage on a Sperry car. C&EI also had a branch from Hoopeston to a place called Cissna Park that ran westward. That crossed their Woodland to ST. Louis and the line southward towards Salem and Chaffee line. That's now the UP line ex MOPAC/C&EI. C&EI/MP also had a branch from Villa Grove over to Danville. I stood on top of the Sperry car and as far as the eye could see there wasn't one tree....just corn...acres and acres of corn....MILES of corn. And did I mention FLAT?

Duh. My bad. Thanks for the information!. Was the removal of the Cissna Park branch a recent event? I am just curious because recent maps have shown the tracks

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

chriiis wrote:It's the Lake Erie and Western line from Sandusky,Oh to Peoria,Il. Further west, from Gibson City through Bloomington to Peoria is still NS. East of Lafayette, it is now the NS line though Frankfort, Muncie, Portland,IN.

One source suggests the segment between Gibson City and Cheneyville was abandoned by the NW.

Would have been heck of a route back in the day. Thanks!

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

chriiis wrote:It's the Lake Erie and Western line from Sandusky,Oh to Peoria,Il. Further west, from Gibson City through Bloomington to Peoria is still NS. East of Lafayette, it is now the NS line though Frankfort, Muncie, Portland,IN.

N&W began abandonment proceedings for the Lafayette-Gibson City segment in 1987. The Interstate Commerce Commission approved the abandonment on June 28, 1988. Local service continued through the end of the year. KB&S leased the Lafayette-Cheneyville segment from 1989 then purchased it two years later.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

bn13814 wrote:

Wouldn't it have been NS by then?

N&W began abandonment proceedings for the Lafayette-Gibson City segment in 1987. The Interstate Commerce Commission approved the abandonment on June 28, 1988. Local service continued through the end of the year. KB&S leased the Lafayette-Cheneyville segment from 1989 then purchased it two years later.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

Toppysager wrote:
bn13814 wrote:

Wouldn't it have been NS by then?
Not officially. Norfolk Southern Corp. was created June 1, 1982 but the Southern Railway and Norfolk & Western merged at the end of 1990.