Track on S.W. May street in Peoria

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Track on S.W. May street in Peoria

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Who serviced this line and when service ended. Thanks from Michigan.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Track on S.W. May street in Peoria

Unread post by bn13814 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Who serviced this line and when service ended. Thanks from Michigan.
That was the "Alley Track," built by the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy RR in the early 20th century to serve new industries locating between S. Adams and S. Washington ("SW" came later). Originally two sections, they were connected (I'll have to look up the end points) in 1925 after CB&Q assumed switching duties (replacing Illinois Traction System) for customers of bankrupt interurban, Peoria Railway Terminal.

Many customers were located on the Alley Track in the 1950s, but late in the decade, some of the Q's major shippers had begun moving to greenfield on the TP&W in East Peoria so they could grow. By the late 1970s, most industries on this now-Burlington Northern track had either closed, moved away or switched to trucks. Amazingly, several did last into the 1980s and one - junk yard A. Miller & Co. - continued to ship two or three scrap metal loads per week until the late 1990s, and then on occasion until the last two cars were loaded in January 2002. Track was rendered impassable after an adjacent building was demolished several months later. Track was completely OOS by 2005 and portions were removed in 2012-2013.

It should be noted that for the last six years or so, the Toledo Peoria & Western actually switched this customer for BNSF.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

bn13814. Thanks for all the great info. Looks like it was a busy place at on time.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Along with MDB count me as one who appreciates your detail, bn13814.
M.D.Bentley wrote:bn13814. Thanks for all the great info. Looks like it was a busy place at on time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...