NRE Silvis

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

NRE Silvis

Unread post by NS3322 »

Several years ago a certain railfan soured relations between railfans and NRE management. Is this still the case? I was wondering if access to the deadline in Silvis is even possible. Is the road leading up to it public or owned by NRE?

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NRE Silvis

Unread post by cfriedri »

AFAIK there's not much of an opportunity to visit anything on the site without explicit permission.
Connor

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

cfriedri wrote:AFAIK there's not much of an opportunity to visit anything on the site without explicit permission.
How would I go about obtaining permission?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I've noticed several drive-by videos have been posted on YouTube.
Was this one (below) taken on NRE property?

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

NRE is NOT friendly at all. :evil: The road alongside the deadline is NRE property and they can/will run you off. You may be able to get away with a drive by, but I wouldn't linger.
The Iowa Interstate engine facility is right across the access road along part of the deadline and they don't seem to be as unfriendly about taking pictures from their parking lot - although that is private property as well.
As far as getting permission, I might look on their website for a phone number and give them a call regarding what you would need to do. I have seen photos taken on their property with permission, so it's not unheard of, but I don't know how those people gained access.
RR Pass Collector

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MP73point4 wrote:I might look on their website for a phone number and give them a call regarding what you would need to do. I have seen photos taken on their property with permission, so it's not unheard of, but I don't know how those people gained access.
I sent them an email regarding their photography policy with the response: "I am sorry we do not allow pictures to be taken."
So should I even bother calling the Silvis branch?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

NS3322 wrote:
MP73point4 wrote:I might look on their website for a phone number and give them a call regarding what you would need to do. I have seen photos taken on their property with permission, so it's not unheard of, but I don't know how those people gained access.
I sent them an email regarding their photography policy with the response: "I am sorry we do not allow pictures to be taken."
So should I even bother calling the Silvis branch?
What don't you get about "no"?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Most of the pictures you've seen, which were taken with "permission" were taken by people who were doing business with the company. My understanding is that in the process of walking through the property looking for the unit that best met the customer's needs, the customer/customer representative was allowed to snap a couple quick photos of units they came across, but they were not on the property exclusively for pictures. Unless you're serious about making a major purchase from NRE, you're probably doing more harm than good at this point.
~ Charles W.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

One option that would be legal that the owner might not appreciate would be a drone photo. They probably wouldn't like it but legally they can't really stop you from doing it.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NS3322 wrote:Several years ago a certain railfan soured relations between railfans and NRE management. Is this still the case? I was wondering if access to the deadline in Silvis is even possible. Is the road leading up to it public or owned by NRE?
I guess I'm purchasing a drone then.

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

Here's drone footage.

https://youtu.be/BnNPAKUaUVg

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Why must you see what's in NRE?

Making it worse will not help in the future if things changed.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)