Peoria

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

Peoria

Unread post by TPW4055_BNSF2184 »

I decided to start a topic about the Peoria area. With that being said heres what I saw there last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMx3yEY ... e=youtu.be

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Peoria

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting. I like the Peoria short line area railroads and that you show the whole train 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tsidephotos476
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tsidephotos476 »

Peoria also has Iowa Interstate's Peoria sub. It appears to not really be to busy, it runs pass one of the cross country courses that I ran at in High school. Out of the 5 times I've been here, I saw two freights, one at 7:00 lead by two Union Pacific Dash-9s "Ironically this was the first train I saw, so I thought it was a Union Pacific branch line." The next train was a freight around mid-night lead by Iowa interstate locomotives. The final train was an Iowa Interstate excursion train that must've been going to the depot. The line is pretty nice, it runs along the Illinois River, nice river houses, fields and small towns.

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting. I like the Peoria short line area railroads and that you show the whole train 8)
Wow forgot I posted this. Anyway No problem. Ive always been fascinated by freights/locals and always neat to see what they got. Heres one from last month.

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

Video I put together of BNSF's M GALPEI and M PEIGAL's (Galesburg-Peoria local)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPVJK6UJYSY/youtube]

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks again. I like watching your videos :) .
TPW4055_BNSF2184 wrote:Video I put together of BNSF's M GALPEI and M PEIGAL's (Galesburg-Peoria local)

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

There is a story on Facebook in the Peoria area railfans group that the TP&W has petitioned to the STB to acquire the Winamac Southern Railroad at Logansport if they get them they will automatically connect with another G&W property called the Central Railroad of Indianapolis at Kokomo Ind, If this results in more traffic between Logansport and
East Peoria that would be nice.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

penn central wrote:There is a story on Facebook in the Peoria area railfans group that the TP&W has petitioned to the STB to acquire the Winamac Southern Railroad at Logansport if they get them they will automatically connect with another G&W property called the Central Railroad of Indianapolis at Kokomo Ind, If this results in more traffic between Logansport and
In other words, it would be just like RailAmerica's system was before RA pissed off Kokomo Grain (owner of the Winamac Southern). The way the story goes, G&W management is almost the complete opposite of the RA management toward the end of RA. The main impact of the acquisition would be that TP&W would be able to run all the way to Kokomo, instead of terminating in Logansport as is currently the case- the WS has trackage rights between their lines, but TP&W runs all the way to their yard on the east side of Logan.

From Kokomo the only connection to be made is the CERA line east to Marion, IIRC, where they also connect to NS. Unfortunately, even before the WS ended their past relationship with TP&W, most of the bridge traffic that TP&W carried in the past was already gone. It's not likely that acquiring WS will do anything other than end WS' independence as a bridge line between the two G&W companies.
~ Charles W.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
penn central wrote:There is a story on Facebook in the Peoria area railfans group that the TP&W has petitioned to the STB to acquire the Winamac Southern Railroad at Logansport if they get them they will automatically connect with another G&W property called the Central Railroad of Indianapolis at Kokomo Ind, If this results in more traffic between Logansport and
In other words, it would be just like RailAmerica's system was before RA pissed off Kokomo Grain (owner of the Winamac Southern). The way the story goes, G&W management is almost the complete opposite of the RA management toward the end of RA. The main impact of the acquisition would be that TP&W would be able to run all the way to Kokomo, instead of terminating in Logansport as is currently the case- the WS has trackage rights between their lines, but TP&W runs all the way to their yard on the east side of Logan.

From Kokomo the only connection to be made is the CERA line east to Marion, IIRC, where they also connect to NS. Unfortunately, even before the WS ended their past relationship with TP&W, most of the bridge traffic that TP&W carried in the past was already gone. It's not likely that acquiring WS will do anything other than end WS' independence as a bridge line between the two G&W companies.
Thank you GreatLakesRailfan. For the info.

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bn13814 »

TP&W petitioned the STB to LEASE and operate the Winamac Southern (WSRY).

When WSRY was created in March 1993, operator then-Central Properties' Central RR of Indianapolis, provided haulage service for TP&W between Logansport and the Conrail connection at Marion, Indiana. Apparently, this haulage deal continued [between Logansport and Kokomo) even after US Rail became WSRY operator in early 2009. So TP&W has always had a connection with CERA.

Single-line service to and from Kokomo won't bring much traffic to the Peoria-Pekin switching district or connections, but single-line service for soybeans shipped from Kokomo Grain Co. to Incobrasa Industries at Gilman is now possible. Export grain can now move to CSX at Reynolds, UP at Watseka and or CN at Gilman.

Single-line service can open up scrap metal markets for OmniSource's Kokomo facility to Keystone Steel & Wire Co. (served by TZPR in Bartonville, IL), Caterpillar (foundry served by TP&W at Mapleton, IL) and perhaps even Amsted Industries/Griffin Wheel Corp. at Keokuk, IA, which is served by BNSF, but accessible to the Keokuk Junction Railway (KJRY). Routing could be TPW-Hollis-KJRY (BNSF delivery).

Hopefully, TP&W and CERA will be able to lure new industry to its expanded Indiana territory in coming years.

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Thanks again. I like watching your videos :) .
TPW4055_BNSF2184 wrote:Video I put together of BNSF's M GALPEI and M PEIGAL's (Galesburg-Peoria local)

Thats what Im lookin for 8)

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Thanks for the thread! I hope to get down that way this summer.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for posting TPW4055_BNSF2184.

The first train's engine looks like an ex-UP SW rebuild.

The last train the black unit looked like an ex-CMGN for a second until I saw it was a GP15.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

David Jordan posted this in the Peoria Railroad yahoo group 3-11-2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWX526Pives

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:Thank you for posting TPW4055_BNSF2184.

The first train's engine looks like an ex-UP SW rebuild.

The last train the black unit looked like an ex-CMGN for a second until I saw it was a GP15.
Glad u watched it. TZPR 1351 was built as a WP SW9 IMRR 43 is ex SP the black one is ex CR

New one

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you TPW. There was a time years ago when video's would show the engines and maybe a few cars. Now just about everyone shows the whole train. I like seeing the whole train even if it's a unit train :) .
TPW4055_BNSF2184 wrote:New one

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan

TPW4055_BNSF2184
Railroadfan...fan