Waukegan trip.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Waukegan trip.

Unread post by EWRice »

I may be taking a trip to Waukegan at the end of this month. A quick peek on Google Earth shows some interesting railroad infrastructure very close to where I will be. Anything to look for or avoid? Any good hotel spots, or spots to avoid.
Thanks,
E.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Waukegan trip.

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I spent some time in Waukegan about 6 years ago.

My time was spent near the Waterfront and along the UP and CN (ex EJ&E) lines. I recall there was a lot of METRA activity in Waukegan.

The UP yard there was also active. I recall locomotive servicing occurring at the UP yard. I do not recall the train frequency on the UP lines. I believe coal trains bound for Sheboygan transit this route.

There is a lot of historical rail and industrial infrastructure in the area, some of which is still used. There is a Cement trainload in the Waukegan harbor. I think it was active at the time of my visit.

The city itself is a bit rough. I would not feel comfortable in the rail/industrial neighborhoods after dark.

I stayed at hotels west of Waukegan along the I-94 corridor. Just a short drive to "downtown" where the action is.

I hope this helps

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Waukegan trip.

Unread post by EWRice »

Thanks for the info. My destination is within walking distance of the Metra station. Although I will be tied up most of the day, I will have evenings and Saturday to check things out. All the hotels I looked at were on the west side of town. I will take my camera and see what happens.