Man hit by train in Rochelle dies.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Man hit by train in Rochelle dies.

Unread post by Jochs »

On Sunday Morning, a 50 year old man was hit by a train and died while crossing the tracks at Washington St.
http://www.wifr.com/content/news/Man-di ... 82006.html
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Man hit by train in Rochelle dies.

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Jochs wrote:On Sunday Morning, a 50 year old man was hit by a train and died while crossing the tracks at Washington St.
http://www.wifr.com/content/news/Man-di ... 82006.html
If it's not a suicide, it confuses me how a pedestrian has a brain function to perceive there to be enough time to cross the tracks before the train comes. Chances are, if you are walking/running across the tracks, the train is already insanely close.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Well you gotta remember the city put in a QZ back in early october. So maybe he had headphones on or he was just plain stupid. I was so angry to hear about the QZ. Trains were the one that started this whole country. People are just idiots. I did hear it was midnight when he got hit maybe not paying attention? Who knows?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

If it wasn't suicide, it was probably impatience that got him killed. People in Rochelle aren't dummies, at least no more so than any other small town across the country. For the most part, they're also not railfans and don't really care about the differences between trains that are going into G3 and trains that aren't, all they really care about is not having to wait for yet another train when they're already running late. Even though there's an overpass over both mains, it's not the easiest or most convenient route through town. If you can beat the train to the crossing, it's probably easier than getting to the overpass, then back to where you were trying to go in the first place.

And since the QZ went in, I'd be surprised if property values in parts of the city didn't go up. Without that infernal racket to keep people up all night/day, it's now possible to sleep through the night all across town. Besides, most of us have two eyes in addition to our ears, to detect train movements with. Even with the horns, there are so many more visual cues that a train is coming that the horns really aren't necessary anymore. The world will be a much better place when train horns are eliminated/banned for good.
~ Charles W.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:And since the QZ went in, I'd be surprised if property values in parts of the city didn't go up. Without that infernal racket to keep people up all night/day, it's now possible to sleep through the night all across town. Besides, most of us have two eyes in addition to our ears, to detect train movements with. Even with the horns, there are so many more visual cues that a train is coming that the horns really aren't necessary anymore. The world will be a much better place when train horns are eliminated/banned for good.
Yeah, good luck with that. I understand that there are indeed more visual cues to signal the approach of an on-coming train, but there is absolutely NO way you could eliminate horns from trains. The horn is the biggest attention grabber a locomotive has. In a day in age where people have 0.5 second attention spans and don't particularly like to use their brains, having a loud, audible warning device that gives a clear indication that "yes, a train is coming, get out of the way" is absolutely necessary. Of course people complain that train horns are loud. News flash: that means they're doing their job! Doesn't matter if its in the inner-city, small town, or in the middle of nowhere.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19