Santa Fe sign dedication

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Santa Fe sign dedication

Unread post by Super Chief »

The sign that was atop of the Santa Fe building in the loop on Michigan Ave. is being dedicated tonight at IRM in Union. A tent for guests and warbonet FP45 92 and steamer 2903 straddling the sign made for quite an impressive display today on my visit. The sign will be lighted just like it was every night looking over Grant Park. Now if only those big red neon lips that straddled the IC tracks by old Central Station could have been saved.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: Santa Fe sign dedication

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Also had a Coke sign along I-90 once upon a time also. Remember looking for those two signs as a kid on trips thru Chicago.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

It appears one of those iconic Magikist signs survives

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

They were indeed signs of the times. Ah yes Magikist couldn't remember the advertiser. Of course Illinois Central had theirs on the station and Standard Oil next to the Santa Fe building and the Purdential building where the ole IC electric ended.

dinwitty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dinwitty »

going into Chicago in that time it was a mecca of these huge animated signs. I've wondered why they disappeared, some local laws or something?

MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MP73point4 »

dinwitty wrote:going into Chicago in that time it was a mecca of these huge animated signs. I've wondered why they disappeared, some local laws or something?
They have disappeared largely because they are stunningly expensive to maintain and operate.
RR Pass Collector