Hotels Near Union Station

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Hotels Near Union Station

Unread post by Fred »

My son & I will be arriving Union Station next month, looking for hotel within walking distance. Any suggestions??
Thanks

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: Hotels Near Union Station

Unread post by justin_gram »

If a 30 minute walk is good, the Embassy Suites on the corner of Ontario and State has always been awesome. Great breakfast Buffett (free) and a happy hour (free as well). 1.5 miles from Union. 11 story building with Atrium. Pool, hot tub, little fitness center, etc. There is another Embassy on the lakefront that is pretty cool as well, thinking its a longer walk though.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

There is a Holiday Inn at Canal and Harrison, 2 blocks south of the station.

Blue line stop is around the corner on Clinton. I rode the CTA from there many times - shouldn't have any issues.

Short walk down Canal to Roosevelt Road also.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Thanks guys,

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I'm also vouch for the Embassy Suites. I heavily prefer it to any Holiday Inn and similar to any 3ish star hotel. Breakfast is amazing there and it is more luxurious. Might be a decent walk however.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

There's also a nice Crowne Plaza hotel 3.5 blocks to the west of CUS, at the corner of Monroe and Halsted. I stayed there once for a Midwest High Speed Rail Association meeting - balcony views of downtown were nice, especially at night. I walked there and back pulling my rollaboard from Union Station no problem - also close to Madison Street Station (former C&NW) if you need to ride Metra on the UP lines.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I recommend the Holiday Inn Express on Clinton. Newly built. Also, quite a few restaurants (Portillo's just opened a block south), and within easy distance to the Station and railfan hotspots.