Am I the only one who notices...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Am I the only one who notices...

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

the overall lack of railfanning videos in Chicago this past year?

I go to YouTube and there's hardly any new videos to be viewed. This is likely just a coincidence but strange nevertheless.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Am I the only one who notices...

Unread post by Ypsi »

I did one in August

There is also that you aren't following the correct people or searching the wrong things on YouTube. Also many fans may have focused on the 611 and other steam to watch this past summer.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Your's is one of the few I've seen. This decline started last year and seems to have culminated this year.

Even with the steam attractions, those shouldn't be enough to drastically decrease regular railfan videos. I've searched under many terms but still haven't come across much outside of a handful of videos, your's included.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

There seems to be an emphasis on quality/ uniqueness in the hobby right now. For instance no more "same old same old" Chicago railroad videos. People are going for the unique. Anyway that's how i see it.
I am in the group as a Railfan from Dubai I met. A train is a train and I'm happy to see it. So Chicago still gets my goat.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Whatever happened to Boxcar Frank? Didn't he have the Chicagoland railfan video market cornered a few years ago?
~ Charles W.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

There were a couple that would post some neat videos from Chicagoland. Boxcar frank, nictrain35, and some others (I may have misspelled the usernames). Those two in particular would post Railfanning days from around the city with some nice catches, normally pretty good videos for those who don't see that much action on a normal Railfanning day.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:Whatever happened to Boxcar Frank? Didn't he have the Chicagoland railfan video market cornered a few years ago?
Last time BoxcarFrank was turning out videos was around 2010 and no later than 2012. Maybe his extensive trespassing caught up to him?

That's what made his vids so interesting and unique from the rest. Wonder what he's been up to for the past 4-5 years?
Last edited by BamaSubdivision94 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Ypsi wrote:There were a couple that would post some neat videos from Chicagoland. Boxcar frank, nictrain35, and some others (I may have misspelled the usernames). Those two in particular would post Railfanning days from around the city with some nice catches, normally pretty good videos for those who don't see that much action on a normal Railfanning day.
I can give nictrain35 a shot. BoxcarFrank hasn't posted anything new in years though.

EDIT: nictrain35 hasn't had anything new for the past 2 years on his YouTube channel.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Where exactly is "West Chicago"? I have an old "Railfan's Guide to Chicago" & there is no mention of it. I see on your video the CN crosses the UP, is this originally a GTW line or EJ&E ? Also is it an ex C&EI line or C&NW? Can the location be reached by Metra?

Thanks.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Fred wrote:Where exactly is "West Chicago"? I have an old "Railfan's Guide to Chicago" & there is no mention of it. I see on your video the CN crosses the UP, is this originally a GTW line or EJ&E ? Also is it an ex C&EI line or C&NW? Can the location be reached by Metra?

Thanks.
West Chicago is roughly 35 miles from downtown Chicago.

It was the crossing of the CNW and EJE.

The Metra station in town is a short walk from the diamond.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Fred wrote:Where exactly is "West Chicago"? I have an old "Railfan's Guide to Chicago" & there is no mention of it. I see on your video the CN crosses the UP, is this originally a GTW line or EJ&E ? Also is it an ex C&EI line or C&NW? Can the location be reached by Metra?

Thanks.
3 tracks are ex CNW, north south is the EJ&E. JB tower controls all movements and is staffed 24-7. It is on Metras Union Pacific line out of Randolph street station. By rail I believe it was 30-40 minutes outside of Chicago to the west. The station sits about a quarter mile to the east of the diamond, and is easily accessible by walking.

It is not in Chicago proper. It is a suburb by that name hence why it is probably not in your guide.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Hey, thanks for that info. When I normally take Amtrak to Chicago I normally then take a Metra out to either Hinsdale, Lagrange, Franklin Park or Blue Island. Been about 20 years since I rode out to Elmhurst, looks like time to ride out to West Chicago.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Fred wrote:Hey, thanks for that info. When I normally take Amtrak to Chicago I normally then take a Metra out to either Hinsdale, Lagrange, Franklin Park or Blue Island. Been about 20 years since I rode out to Elmhurst, looks like time to ride out to West Chicago.
West Chicago is 3-4 stops past elm hurst. We went there to get pizza and see the hobby shop (which was closed) then moved on to west Chicago.
-Kurt Vonnegut

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks.
Everybody else has told you pretty much all you need to know but I'll provide an extra detail.

The crossing itself is also known by its more specific name of Turner Junction (which is probably what its called in your guide) located in the suburb of West Chicago.

Haven't been there myself but it's a great spot from what I've seen and heard. Easily accessible/ can get close to the action without trespassing, heavy traffic, an interlocking tower still in operation and a surrounding area that is a clean, quiet "old money" suburb with little concern for safety.
Last edited by BamaSubdivision94 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Ah, Turner Jct - that one I know of as it is in The Guide"
Thanks for the clarification.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Fred wrote:Ah, Turner Jct - that one I know of as it is in The Guide"
Thanks for the clarification.
No problem.

BTW, the guide you have wouldn't happen to be John Szwajkart's Train Watcher's Guide to Chicago would it?

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Yea it is. Have one for St Louis too. Both pretty much out of date but still very useful.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Fred wrote:Yea it is. Have one for St Louis too. Both pretty much out of date but still very useful.
I thought so. I got it as well as the St. Louis and Kansas City guides. Crazy how much has changed since these were originally published.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:the overall lack of railfanning videos in Chicago this past year?

I go to YouTube and there's hardly any new videos to be viewed. This is likely just a coincidence but strange nevertheless.
I posted several on my channel over the summer. Check me out and if you like it hit that subscribe button. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB5RDA ... tQtIuQPX8g
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line