Englewood

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
C&O6084
Railroadfan...fan

Englewood

Unread post by C&O6084 »

Google Earth recently updated images around Englewood. Shows the Flyover's first bridge in business (double track), the second bridge (one track) udner constrution, and lots of trackwork in both directions from the bridg(es).

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Englewood

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

I don't dare go near Englewood, it is constantly rated as the highest crime per capita area in all of Chicago... And the fact that it's only a 1.5 sq mile radius scares me to pieces :roll:

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I didn't have any trouble when I was there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/15432474508/
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

Tier4GEVO wrote:I don't dare go near Englewood, it is constantly rated as the highest crime per capita area in all of Chicago... And the fact that it's only a 1.5 sq mile radius scares me to pieces :roll:
I highly DONT Reccomend going to Englewood. Would much rather go to Blue Island or Dolton.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

I understand safety and all but dang, some of you over-exaggerate the danger of some places. I've never been to Englewood myself (been through it a few times) but thank God some of you aren't travel agents otherwise more people would go on vacation on the other side of the bed.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:I understand safety and all but dang, some of you over-exaggerate the danger of some places. I've never been to Englewood myself (been through it a few times) but thank God some of you aren't travel agents otherwise more people would go on vacation on the other side of the bed.
Most railfans prefer not to hangout in one of the worst areas of America. The concerns on here are certainly warranted.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:I understand safety and all but dang, some of you over-exaggerate the danger of some places. I've never been to Englewood myself (been through it a few times) but thank God some of you aren't travel agents otherwise more people would go on vacation on the other side of the bed.
Most railfans prefer not to hangout in one of the worst areas of America. The concerns on here are certainly warranted.
I'm talking about in general. One person gets shot in one area of a city and people declare the entire place unsafe to live or even visit. With Englewood, considering that people have actually railfanned there, it's not as dangerous as it's made out to be.

Though I will say the dude who shot this video is either extremely curious or stupid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmKRESk4xM

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:
I'm talking about in general. One person gets shot in one area of a city and people declare the entire place unsafe to live or even visit. With Englewood, considering that people have actually railfanned there, it's not as dangerous as it's made out to be.

Though I will say the dude who shot this video is either extremely curious or stupid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEmKRESk4xM
Englewood is as dangerous as advertised, but keep your wits and get in and out if you want a shot that bad.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:Englewood is as dangerous as advertised, but keep your wits and get in and out if you want a shot that bad.
I've heard the stories but like I said, many like to exaggerate crime even if they aren't exactly wrong.

Have you ever been to Englewood? How much of a risk is it to railfan during daylight, never mind at night?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:Englewood is as dangerous as advertised, but keep your wits and get in and out if you want a shot that bad.
I've heard the stories but like I said, many like to exaggerate crime even if they aren't exactly wrong.

Have you ever been to Englewood? How much of a risk is it to railfan during daylight, never mind at night?
I have. Used to take trains through it. You didn't walk in that area without police assistance, day or night. There was an NS Special Agent shot about 10 years ago when he stumbled upon an execution taking place.

So...yeah...it's exactly as described.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Tier4GEVO wrote:I don't dare go near Englewood, it is constantly rated as the highest crime per capita area in all of Chicago... And the fact that it's only a 1.5 sq mile radius scares me to pieces :roll:
How do you get a radius out of a square mile? :? :lol:

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:

I have. Used to take trains through it. You didn't walk in that area without police assistance, day or night. There was an NS Special Agent shot about 10 years ago when he stumbled upon an execution taking place.

Dang, I see your point.

What about the nearby Grand Crossing neighborhood where the IC passes under the Pennsy and NYC lines?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

"GRAND CROSSING. Not a crossing at grade, Canadian National's ex-Illinois Central main line and Metra Electric's ex-IC commuter route pass underneath two parallel bridges: one carrying the former Pennsylvania main, the other the ex-New York Central main. Most of the tracks on the NYC bridge have been taken up, but the Pennsy span carries the same NS freights and Amtrak trains that pass through Englewood...Both ROW's are on elevations, making access difficult, and the local neighborhood is a bit risky in any case...Sight lines are a little awkward, though, since the mostly trackless NYC bridge is in front of the Pennsy structure. Indiana Harbor and the Hammond-Whiting Amtrak station afford a better view--and more freight traffic.

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

CSX_CO wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005 ... en-two-men

Is this the shooting you were talking about?
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Matt Short Line H wrote:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2005 ... en-two-men

Is this the shooting you were talking about?
Might have been. I thought it was a bit closer to Christmas, but that is probably the one.

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

CSX_CO wrote:
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:

Seconded. I would not be walking around there, day or night, without packing heat or security accompaniment. Perhaps a group would be safer than one man alone.