CSX, CN and where to find odd railcars...

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX, CN and where to find odd railcars...

Unread post by Matt Short Line H »

fr8train wrote:
Matt Short Line H wrote: Robbins, which is not a great area is right next to it. Blue Island is a safe spot I guess. I have never had a problem with the people there. It is readily accessible from the crossing. There are is a spot on either side of the crossing. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback. How busy is it to someplace like Rochelle?

Is there anyway, online or otherwise, to predict where and when what trains will be? I noticed that train frequencies are listed online, how useful is getting a radio?
Rochelle gets on average gets 120 trains a day, i think. If you join groups on Facebook or others Forums you should be able to find adequate information.
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

Franklin Park is one of my favorite spots, if only for the previous likelihood of getting a Soo Line or DME/ICE unit rolling through, plus I think Indiana Railroad still runs up there now and again. Not sure how that's changed though. Not the best place to pull up the lawnchair though if it's sheer volume of trains you're after. CP's main yard in Bensenville is just west of Franklin Park, so most CP trains do originate/terminate there. Be careful as you get closer to the yard itself though, as you are pretty close to O'Hare at that point.

Another spot, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet, is the south end of the CN (formerly IC ) yard at Homewood, as they have a railfanning platform (or at least used too). Homewood is a nicer suburb and this is the CN (former IC) mainline across mid-america. I haven't spent time there in a couple of years ( though I try to drive by on my way into chicago), so traffic may not be what it was as I think CN installed a new connection with the former EJ&E south of there, but if you should still see a reasonable amount of traffic. I seem to see at least one or two trains moving every time I'm there and I haven't spent more than an hour continuously there in a long time You may be able to go to one of the metra stations along this line further south and be able to find a decent place to sit though.
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!

fr8train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fr8train »

RailsandTrucks wrote:Franklin Park is one of my favorite spots, if only for the previous likelihood of getting a Soo Line or DME/ICE unit rolling through, plus I think Indiana Railroad still runs up there now and again. Not sure how that's changed though. Not the best place to pull up the lawnchair though if it's sheer volume of trains you're after. CP's main yard in Bensenville is just west of Franklin Park, so most CP trains do originate/terminate there. Be careful as you get closer to the yard itself though, as you are pretty close to O'Hare at that point.

Another spot, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet, is the south end of the CN (formerly IC ) yard at Homewood, as they have a railfanning platform (or at least used too). Homewood is a nicer suburb and this is the CN (former IC) mainline across mid-america. I haven't spent time there in a couple of years ( though I try to drive by on my way into chicago), so traffic may not be what it was as I think CN installed a new connection with the former EJ&E south of there, but if you should still see a reasonable amount of traffic. I seem to see at least one or two trains moving every time I'm there and I haven't spent more than an hour continuously there in a long time You may be able to go to one of the metra stations along this line further south and be able to find a decent place to sit though.
Thanks for the info, I think I'll check out Homewood. I've read about the platform there, and I now have a zoom lens for my camera, so maybe I'll be able to take some decent photos.

Here's an interesting train that I saw today:

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

fr8train wrote:
RailsandTrucks wrote:Franklin Park is one of my favorite spots, if only for the previous likelihood of getting a Soo Line or DME/ICE unit rolling through, plus I think Indiana Railroad still runs up there now and again. Not sure how that's changed though. Not the best place to pull up the lawnchair though if it's sheer volume of trains you're after. CP's main yard in Bensenville is just west of Franklin Park, so most CP trains do originate/terminate there. Be careful as you get closer to the yard itself though, as you are pretty close to O'Hare at that point.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll check out Homewood. I've read about the platform there, and I now have a zoom lens for my camera, so maybe I'll be able to take some decent photos.

Here's an interesting train that I saw today:

I see you have found the Illinois Railway & their Hudson Bay SD50's
"You want to be original, you want to be yourself, and whether that's accepted or not accepted, that's not as important as being you" - Tyler Hubbard, Half of Duo Florida Georgia Line

fr8train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fr8train »

Matt Short Line H wrote:I see you have found the Illinois Railway & their Hudson Bay SD50's
I've seen them in Wedron, Illinois a few times, but I never got a chance to take a picture. The one above was in Ottawa. Do you know anything more about them?

Matt Short Line H
Railroadfan...fan

fr8train wrote:
Matt Short Line H wrote:I see you have found the Illinois Railway & their Hudson Bay SD50's
I've seen them in Wedron, Illinois a few times, but I never got a chance to take a picture. The one above was in Ottawa. Do you know anything more about them?
I know that the owner of both railroads, OmniTrax, likes to switch out power, thats why they are on the IR. Also owned by OmniTrax is the Chicago Rail Link who just got some "new" Ex CN GP40-2W's. Hope this helps, Matt