KJ B Unit ready to roll

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

KJ B Unit ready to roll

Unread post by jrgerber »

Keokuk Junction Railway mechanical forces at Pioneer Railcorp's main locomotive shop in LaHarpe, Ill., have just completed repainting F9B 1761, which will be paired with the line's two FP9A units, 1750 and 1752, making for an A-B-A set of classic cab units operating in Central Illinois.

The former Algoma Central B unit was out of service for several months, with a grounded-out main generator. The generator has been replaced and other minor mechanical issues repaired. PREX 2003, a GP20u of Santa Fe Railroad origin, has been the fill-in power for the B unit.

Pioneer mechanic Nick Troutman, and other workers power washed and sanded the locomotive, using body filler in a couple of small places. High quality DuPont Imron paint was used while the unit was sprayed in a stall of the engine facility in LaHarpe.

At the same time the locomotive was completed, a contractor was working on trimming brush along the tracks between Mapleton and LaHarpe in an effort to protect the units from any further damage to paint, said KJRY general manager Dave Henry.

"I don't mind working on them," Troutman said. "It's tough pulling heads (power assemblies). As far as electrical goes, they are in pretty good shape.''

The set should be together along, with repainted red caboose PREX3, on the Keokuk Junction Santa Train, which will operate on Saturday, Dec. 6, 2014. The train will run from Mapleton to Smithfield, Ill., with the set of F-units and caboose.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: KJ B Unit ready to roll

Unread post by Ypsi »

This may be worth a trip one day.. Would be neat to see an A-B-A matching set hauling freight. It is pretty neat that they are taking care of that trio down there, including clearing brush from the ROW and such.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard traffic was down and they don't run every day so you may want to check ahead to get their schedule.
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:This may be worth a trip one day.. Would be neat to see an A-B-A matching set hauling freight. It is pretty neat that they are taking care of that trio down there, including clearing brush from the ROW and such.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

I believe there is another pair of A units that they are storing don't know the timetable for those to be restored to running condition.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Yes, Pioneer has two other former Algoma Central FP9As (1751, 1754) stored dead at Laharpe in, well, sad shape.

Plans call for repairing them as time and money allows. Unfortunately, the junk that is GP20s and the like want so much attention that the 1751 and 1754 get little shop time. 1754 needs a new fireman's side windshield, and one of the two (I don't recall which, it's been a long time since I was inside them) got heavily vandalized for copper while stored elsewhere.

The good news is, that, in time; they will be repaired and returned to service. The shop crews like the F-units because they are extremely reliably, needing little more than the usual stuff at inspections. All three of the F-units that run are also capable of a miracle when needed. I've seen one of them lift three (yes, 3) times her tonnage rating when a trailing unit died.

You should consider citing your sources on the first post in this thread, please.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:This may be worth a trip one day.. Would be neat to see an A-B-A matching set hauling freight. It is pretty neat that they are taking care of that trio down there, including clearing brush from the ROW and such.
Those three engines treat the crews and the mechanics very well, why would the crews and mechanics be so foolish to not take care of them?

I project (but obviously no garuntees) that traffic will pick up by February, so you might get to see more frequent operations. Still about once a week road trains, with as-needed runs to handle storage cars. KJ just got 100 or so brand new tank cars in for storage.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Bulby wrote:
Those three engines treat the crews and the mechanics very well, why would the crews and mechanics be so foolish to not take care of them?

I project (but obviously no garuntees) that traffic will pick up by February, so you might get to see more frequent operations. Still about once a week road trains, with as-needed runs to handle storage cars. KJ just got 100 or so brand new tank cars in for storage.
I think he means it's cool they use them together for freight at all.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

ns8401 wrote:
Bulby wrote:

I think he means it's cool they use them together for freight at all.
I know what he meant, I'm just adding some of the rationale behind it.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

It looks pretty slick now, matching and just the overall scheme of the unit, defiantly a classic looking group

Here is a photo via trains where you have to subscribe to see the article but can see the photo for free:
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... -set-of-fs
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Ok then, but you really questioned him and didn't provide any rationale besides a criticism of the statement he made, as if liking the fact that they take care of them is a careless foamer mistake. I would be interested in some really in-depth reasoning though.

The B unit looks really nice btw. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Rationale:

The 1750, 1752, and 1761 are the three best units on the railroad, rarely break down (they see the shop every 92 days, as opposed to some of the GP20s that need constant attention), stay warm in the winter, ride well, keep a good grip on the rail, and can preform miracles when it is needed (As I said before, I've seen one of them pick up three times her rated tonnage on the ruling grade). They do not guzzle fuel, they are easy to troubleshoot and work on (okay, not changing out power assemblies), they have great forward visibility, and are used on a run that has little switching. The A-units have a comfortable set up to run for the engineer, and for the conductor, there is a glove box to keep the paperwork in order. The seats are comfortable to sit in for a long period of time. In the case of the 1752, which usually leads westbound, she has a firewall between the cab and the prime mover so it is a lot quieter than most of the other locomotives. They are constantly being photographed, so it harder for vandals to do damage to them, as opposed to the C30-7 that had all the copper stripped out by vandals sitting on the Laharpe wye less than a mile from the shop.

Bottom line: To mistreat the three would be akin to the crew shooting themselves in the foot.

I'll pass along the message that it looks nice to Mr. Troutman,

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Bulby wrote:Rationale:

The 1750, 1752, and 1761 are the three best units on the railroad, rarely break down (they see the shop every 92 days, as opposed to some of the GP20s that need constant attention), stay warm in the winter, ride well, keep a good grip on the rail, and can preform miracles when it is needed (As I said before, I've seen one of them pick up three times her rated tonnage on the ruling grade). They do not guzzle fuel, they are easy to troubleshoot and work on (okay, not changing out power assemblies), they have great forward visibility, and are used on a run that has little switching. The A-units have a comfortable set up to run for the engineer, and for the conductor, there is a glove box to keep the paperwork in order. The seats are comfortable to sit in for a long period of time. In the case of the 1752, which usually leads westbound, she has a firewall between the cab and the prime mover so it is a lot quieter than most of the other locomotives. They are constantly being photographed, so it harder for vandals to do damage to them, as opposed to the C30-7 that had all the copper stripped out by vandals sitting on the Laharpe wye less than a mile from the shop.

Bottom line: To mistreat the three would be akin to the crew shooting themselves in the foot.

I'll pass along the message that it looks nice to Mr. Troutman,
Thanks for the explanation.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Well its been 14 years since I have personally seen these units and to see them now in this good of shape is great. Last I saw them was a winter to remember at the Soo crossing the RR bridge above the locks usually with a Geep on the Gladstone Turn or Stevens Point turn. After the new Wisconsin Central management took over from Mr. Burkhart and tore down all the historic structures on the ole DSS&A I never thought these units would have made it. Kudos to KJ and Pioneer for saving and maintaining them. I nominate them as the official units to pull a National Christmas Train touring the entire country. What a wonderful memory they are for me. Sorry the holiday spirit has caught up with me. Happy Holidays one and all.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Super Chief wrote:I nominate them as the official units to pull a National Christmas Train touring the entire country.
I like that idea (seriously, I'd love to see it happen).

But, um, where is KJ going to find replacement power while the A-B-A is off carrying Santa around the country?

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

The source for the first posting is Trains Newswire.

Over and out.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

jrgerber wrote:The source for the first posting is Trains Newswire.

Over and out.
I knew that when I asked you to cite your sources (there is an error in the article that you copied). It is plagiarism to simply copy and paste without giving credit to the author. The content was also behind a paywall, intended to be for subscribers only. Summarize and provide a link to the article. That is much better from a legal standpoint.

Off my soapbox.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

When I need an attorney, I'll call you.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

1761 should be headed out of the shops this week, Tuesday or Wednesday for a return to her usual stomping grounds. The locomotive won't head east until the brush contractor finishes trimming the brush back from the ROW.

Something about not taking a chance on scratching the new Imron. :D

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Due to issues during Keokuk Junction Railway's Santa Train, KJ B-unit 1761 is to head back to Laharpe Shops on Monday for more work.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Well any pictures of Santa behind the 3 F's? Would love to see them, or did the B not even make the trip? We've got a National Christmas Train depending on them to compete against the two Canadian trains!!!