Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in Rockford, IL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
minernut333
Railroadfan...fan

Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in Rockford, IL

Unread post by minernut333 »

I'm looking at a USGS map of Rochelle, IL and notice that Burlington Northern runs north from Flagg Center, IL to Rockford, IL along the Milwaukee Road. I then find a CB&Q map on the internet proving that right. Why did the CB&Q - BN(1970) run from Flagg Center,IL to Rockford, IL? What was in Rockford, IL that CB&Q was supplying?
Minernut MRC333

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in Rockford, IL

Unread post by railohio »

Because there used to be heavy industry in Rockford. BN held on to the line until the mid 1990s.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in Rockford, IL

Unread post by bn13814 »

minernut333 wrote:I'm looking at a USGS map of Rochelle, IL and notice that Burlington Northern runs north from Flagg Center, IL to Rockford, IL along the Milwaukee Road. I then find a CB&Q map on the internet proving that right. Why did the CB&Q - BN(1970) run from Flagg Center,IL to Rockford, IL? What was in Rockford, IL that CB&Q was supplying?

Illinois RailNet (Illinois Railway since 2005) acquired Flagg Center to Rockford in 1999. IR serves Behr Iron & Metal, Gunite Corp., Kent Feeds*, Parkside Warehouse, Ring Container Technologies and Watco Terminal & Port Services with access to other Rockford industries served by CN, CPRS and UP.

*Probably dormant

The Milwaukee Roads List of Industries (1978) shows quite a few shippers served by BN in Rockford. Those and ones served by CNW, ICG and MILW (accessible to BN) could generate quite a bit of traffic.