Santa rides the rails behind F9s

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Santa rides the rails behind F9s

Unread post by Bulby »

I know Western Illinois is a bit far from the focus of this board, and December is still is a ways off; but if you haven't gotten to see Keokuk Junction's F-units, here is your chance:

Santa Claus will be making a trip behind FP9s for Keokuk Junction's annual Santa Train on Dec. 6th.

Scheduled power as of now is the two FP9A units, the F9B may be added at the discretion of KJ as the event comes nearer. Obviously, things can change between now and then for power, but unless something unforeseen happens, the Fs will power the train.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Santa rides the rails behind F9s

Unread post by J T »

Good looking units!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They pull freight with those too. Last I heard they were averaging 3 round trips a week with about 30-50 cars per trip. Train crew seems to like them.

For a short period they had a coal contract and would use 5-6 units on those unit trains. But the F-units didn't hold up too well under that service. Break downs were common and they often ended up dividing the train into 20-30 car blocks to get them to the interchange/plant (can't recall which).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

AARR wrote:They pull freight with those too. Last I heard they were averaging 3 round trips a week with about 30-50 cars per trip. Train crew seems to like them.

For a short period they had a coal contract and would use 5-6 units on those unit trains. But the F-units didn't hold up too well under that service. Break downs were common and they often ended up dividing the train into 20-30 car blocks to get them to the interchange/plant (can't recall which).
At the moment it is down to one trip a week. 20-30 cars, BNSF is underbidding an already low KJ bid.

The true story of the coal contract:

Ameren built a spur to the KJ to provide competition at it's Duck Creek Power Plant. Union Pacific won the contract to haul coal to Duck Creek, with KJ handling the last 20 or so miles from Peoria to the plant. Union Pacific provided the motive power, KJ just put a crew on it and delivered it. KJ spent a fair amount of money rebuilding the track to the plant spur, and it is the fastest portion of the KJ.

When BNSF won the contract back, they had to do a major rehab on their route to the plant. KJ handled the first few trains into the plant because BNSF wasn't ready. BNSF refused to provide motive power, so it fell to KJ. One of the F9s was out of service, so it fell to the remaining F9, 4 GP20s, and a GP8. The maximum train I think they got up was 35 or so cars. Usually one or more of the GP20s would die, and the GP8 had a problem keeping it's cooling water where it belonged (also had a problem with the anti-wheelslip equipment). More than once, somebody had to go back and run a troublesome GP20 that didn't want to MU. The F9 never died as I remember; it usually led the coal runs. Those F units are the best power KJ has (and I've seen it all). I could go on and on about how great the 1750 and 1752 are.

JT, I think I'm in that photo; nice shot.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Bulby wrote:I know Western Illinois is a bit far from the focus of this board, and December is still is a ways off; but if you haven't gotten to see Keokuk Junction's F-units, here is your chance:

Santa Claus will be making a trip behind FP9s for Keokuk Junction's annual Santa Train on Dec. 6th.

Scheduled power as of now is the two FP9A units, the F9B may be added at the discretion of KJ as the event comes nearer. Obviously, things can change between now and then for power, but unless something unforeseen happens, the Fs will power the train.

I have some unused vacation time coming up and that's a part of Illinois I've not had the opportunity to visit yet. Knowing when the Santa train is running might change that...I take it the KJ isn't outright hostile to railfans?
~ Charles W.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I have some unused vacation time coming up and that's a part of Illinois I've not had the opportunity to visit yet. Knowing when the Santa train is running might change that...I take it the KJ isn't outright hostile to railfans?
Act your age and you won't be run off. Don't do anything stupid and KJ will not treat you like a baby. KJ likes the good railfans; an extra pair of eyes and ears on the railroad.

(Plus half the operating crew, give or take, are foamers)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sharp paint, freight with F units, this is definitely on my must see list while it lasts! Wow! :D
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

I should have mentioned, I can't promise it, but in past years the crew has been more than willing to allow people up into the cab at the stops. If the engineer does it again this year, and you are so inclined, you can tour the cab and see the prime mover (and toot the horn if you want).

Otherwise, be prepared for a horn show, kids light up when you ask them if they want to blow the horn.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:I should have mentioned, I can't promise it, but in past years the crew has been more than willing to allow people up into the cab at the stops. If the engineer does it again this year, and you are so inclined, you can tour the cab and see the prime mover (and toot the horn if you want).

Otherwise, be prepared for a horn show, kids light up when you ask them if they want to blow the horn.
I am 18, and for as long as I live I will "Light Up" if I can blow the horn. :D I would love to check out an F unit cab. Its like in the old days when railroads were friendly to railfan's and didn't care what happened.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT1223 wrote:
Bulby wrote:I should have mentioned, I can't promise it, but in past years the crew has been more than willing to allow people up into the cab at the stops. If the engineer does it again this year, and you are so inclined, you can tour the cab and see the prime mover (and toot the horn if you want).

I am 18, and for as long as I live I will "Light Up" if I can blow the horn. :D I would love to check out an F unit cab. Its like in the old days when railroads were friendly to railfan's and didn't care what happened.
Oh, Pioneer cares; cares that you are safe that is.

I love asking people if they want to blow the horn, especially the kids. The smiles I get make it worth all the effort.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT1223 wrote:

Railroads were friendlier for sure but liability wasn't such a big deal then either. They have always cared though.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ns8401 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:

Railroads were friendlier for sure but liability wasn't such a big deal then either. They have always cared though.
I mean't the liability thing... :D

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

As an update, Keokuk Junction is planning on running all three of it's operable F-units for the 2014 Santa Train. Plan is to run all of the A-B-A set.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:As an update, Keokuk Junction is planning on running all three of it's operable F-units for the 2014 Santa Train. Plan is to run all of the A-B-A set.
Gonna paint the B unit? Nothing like an ABA set of F units but nothing BEATS a matching set. :D

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

B unit should be outta the shop with a freshly overhauled main generator and a fresh coat of paint. (now to cross my fingers they finally got time to install the block heater that has been talked about for 3+ years)

Caboose is also freshly painted.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:B unit should be outta the shop with a freshly overhauled main generator and a fresh coat of paint. (now to cross my fingers they finally got time to install the block heater that has been talked about for 3+ years)

Caboose is also freshly painted.
Look forward for pics or vids of this train. All matching... :wink:

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Bump...

Out of curiosity, anyone else planning on seeing this? I realize it is a little far from the board's normal scope.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I wanted to, but didn't have much luck finding anyone to carpool with. It's a little far for a weekend trip on my own, but if anyone in lower Michigan, northern Indiana or northern Ohio was thinking about heading out to see the train and wants to carpool, shoot me a PM...
~ Charles W.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

College is my life atm. Drive to Illinois is not in the budget but a NPE 2014 trip is!