Rock Island 938 Restoration Candidate???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Rock Island 938 Restoration Candidate???

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT1223 wrote:
Bulby wrote:As a further update to this thread:

938 is due to be switched back outside next weekend, if it hasn't moved already. 1630 will go in to the shop for the winter as soon as the 938 is out.

While the boiler survey is not in my hands, the 938 is still not a candidate for operational restoration. Based on what is known, it would take at least as long as the 428 has.

Once the shay and the 428 are done, the big push will hopefully be to fund the firebox work on the 26. This of course assumes that 428 and the shay are done before 1630 goes down for a re-tube.

Both the 101 and the CE 5 need extensive work, basically, when they ran at IRM before, they were spit-and-bailing wire restorations, and both locomotives are totally worn out.
There is not another locomotive that IRM could possibly restore if they ever had the chance? What about that ICRR 2-4-4 or the saddle tankers? There is that Lehigh and New England 0-6-0 too, just to name a few.
Give the steam dept. 5 million and you'll see any locomotive you want in the collection operational. Other than that...

It is unfortunate that the 101 is so worn out, as it is the perfect size for IRM. At some point, the saddle tank that has been dis-assembled (I forget the number off hand) could be restored to operate, in the same operations pattern as the shay. Depending on the condition of the pressure vessel and running gear, the fireless would be a nice piece to operate, as not many museums have operating fireless steam locomotives.

Coronet Phosphate 9 might be a good candidate, but I don't think it is in good shape (I'd be happy to be wrong), it is a phosphate switcher, and those seem to all be rough.

I would argue that the only appropriate actions for the ICRR 2-4-4 is a full cosmetic restoration and display. It is a small, old, historic piece that should be conserved rather than operated. For now, I would say the same thing about the 4-4-0 16. I would suggest that C&O 2707, AT&SF 2903, MILW 265, N&W 2050, and CB&Q 4963 should also fall into the category of "full cosmetic restoration and display" operation not considered.

The only reason any 0-6-0 would be considered under the current climate is if it were a tank engine, and even then, it is to small for much use.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Bulby wrote:As a further update to this thread:

938 is due to be switched back outside next weekend, if it hasn't moved already. 1630 will go in to the shop for the winter as soon as the 938 is out.

While the boiler survey is not in my hands, the 938 is still not a candidate for operational restoration. Based on what is known, it would take at least as long as the 428 has.

Once the shay and the 428 are done, the big push will hopefully be to fund the firebox work on the 26. This of course assumes that 428 and the shay are done before 1630 goes down for a re-tube.

Both the 101 and the CE 5 need extensive work, basically, when they ran at IRM before, they were spit-and-bailing wire restorations, and both locomotives are totally worn out.
There is not another locomotive that IRM could possibly restore if they ever had the chance? What about that ICRR 2-4-4 or the saddle tankers? There is that Lehigh and New England 0-6-0 too, just to name a few.
Give the steam dept. 5 million and you'll see any locomotive you want in the collection operational. Other than that...

It is unfortunate that the 101 is so worn out, as it is the perfect size for IRM. At some point, the saddle tank that has been dis-assembled (I forget the number off hand) could be restored to operate, in the same operations pattern as the shay. Depending on the condition of the pressure vessel and running gear, the fireless would be a nice piece to operate, as not many museums have operating fireless steam locomotives.

Coronet Phosphate 9 might be a good candidate, but I don't think it is in good shape (I'd be happy to be wrong), it is a phosphate switcher, and those seem to all be rough.

I would argue that the only appropriate actions for the ICRR 2-4-4 is a full cosmetic restoration and display. It is a small, old, historic piece that should be conserved rather than operated. For now, I would say the same thing about the 4-4-0 16. I would suggest that C&O 2707, AT&SF 2903, MILW 265, N&W 2050, and CB&Q 4963 should also fall into the category of "full cosmetic restoration and display" operation not considered.

The only reason any 0-6-0 would be considered under the current climate is if it were a tank engine, and even then, it is to small for much use.
I don't like to do the whole "give a million dollars" kind of thing, but I was more just curious if say something happened to one of the current operational locomotives where it needed to be sidelined and another was restored in its place. Its always good to have a piece in reserve you know you could count on if a restoration was required. 4963 could be your "big engine" if it ever so needed to be. Its not big like a 2-8-4 or larger but has plenty of power and can put on a show. Its like another 1630 except it has another pilot truck, almost too big you know?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

4963 is too big for the museum, plus I would categorize it as "cosmetic restoration only" - operation not considered. It is a large locomotive, larger than the 1630. It also has a sister locomotive that is operational. Therefore, there is no interpretive benefit to running the 4963. Remember please, IRM is a museum, not a club or a tourist railroad.

If (heaven forbid) a catastrophic failure were to befall the 1630 (or 428) :x , rendering permanently inoperable; I would think GNA 26, 101, LA 99, IC 3719, Lee Tidewater 18, or Coronet 9 would be among the candidates.

If money showed up, the 938 might join that list.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:4963 is too big for the museum, plus I would categorize it as "cosmetic restoration only" - operation not considered. It is a large locomotive, larger than the 1630. It also has a sister locomotive that is operational. Therefore, there is no interpretive benefit to running the 4963. Remember please, IRM is a museum, not a club or a tourist railroad.

If (heaven forbid) a catastrophic failure were to befall the 1630 (or 428) :x , rendering permanently inoperable; I would think GNA 26, 101, LA 99, IC 3719, Lee Tidewater 18, or Coronet 9 would be among the candidates.

If money showed up, the 938 might join that list.
I do remember that IRM is a museum. The only reason why I would include 4963 is because 4960 down in Arizona is heavily modified and doesn't resemble any of her CB&Q heritage anymore. I could see 35 operating without the booster if things ever changed that would be as big as I would go, and that is a monster of a 2-8-0. Sister (7)34 is the largest operating 2-8-0 in the country.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT1223 wrote:The only reason why I would include 4963 is because 4960 down in Arizona is heavily modified and doesn't resemble any of her CB&Q heritage anymore.
All the more reason to not operate the 4963. Restore what is there, and then preserve it. Don't operate it, as operation destroys the historical fabric.

I should note, I am not a huge supporter of the "historic fabric" argument, but in this situation, it has merit.

It would be nice if IRM got a little logging Mikado for operation. That, or a prairie that is in decent condition.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:The only reason why I would include 4963 is because 4960 down in Arizona is heavily modified and doesn't resemble any of her CB&Q heritage anymore.
All the more reason to not operate the 4963. Restore what is there, and then preserve it. Don't operate it, as operation destroys the historical fabric.

I should note, I am not a huge supporter of the "historic fabric" argument, but in this situation, it has merit.

It would be nice if IRM got a little logging Mikado for operation. That, or a prairie that is in decent condition.
Yeah a rod locomotive with logging history is what IRM is really missing. A shay is one thing, but a rod engine is another.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

That isn't why I want a logging Mikado for IRM. A logging Mikado is small, made for light rail, has trailing and pilot trucks, can take curves most mikados would dream about, and is designed to run in reverse as much as forward.

Perfect for IRM.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:That isn't why I want a logging Mikado for IRM. A logging Mikado is small, made for light rail, has trailing and pilot trucks, can take curves most mikados would dream about, and is designed to run in reverse as much as forward.

Perfect for IRM.
I know that, I was also just stating something else that I had thought of on the fly. It would fit IRM's operation just right, but at the same time it is kind of something that is missing from IRM's collection.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

The SRI guys didn't give the 1225 an entirely new firebox. There are still sheets in there from before the rebuild. We helped drill and fit sheets but PAID for a certified boiler making company to come in and do all the welding.... VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

BerkshireKid wrote:The SRI guys didn't give the 1225 an entirely new firebox. There are still sheets in there from before the rebuild. We helped drill and fit sheets but PAID for a certified boiler making company to come in and do all the welding.... VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
Yeah, I guess I should be more specific. The throat sheet is not new, but the sides and I believe the back are all new.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Part of the throat sheet is new. To replace the bottom of the combustion chamber the top of the throat sheet had to be partially cut off. The top of the combustion chamber is the piece that was left in place.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Thought I would mention that 938 is back outside in front of Barn 9 for the winter. It is sitting facing North on Track 93 where the Brownhoist was part of the summer.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

PM1223 if you want to see a non-operating Shay up close go to Cadillac they have one of the first in the park downtown by the lake. For a static display she looks very good. Also in the summer theres a Shay weekend in Harbor Springs every year honorin g Mr. Shay who is buried in the cemetary there. Lots of geared models to see operating.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Super Chief wrote:PM1223 if you want to see a non-operating Shay up close go to Cadillac they have one of the first in the park downtown by the lake. For a static display she looks very good. Also in the summer theres a Shay weekend in Harbor Springs every year honorin g Mr. Shay who is buried in the cemetary there. Lots of geared models to see operating.
Yeah I know Cadillac-Soo Lumber #1 is up there. I have been meaning to see it, but I really want to see an operating one as well. I love the all wood cab on #1.