Chicago area for British Railfan?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Chicago area for British Railfan?

Unread post by Clive »

Hi Guys looking for some info on the Chicago Racetrack hope someone can help?
Here in the UK i produce small corporate videos within the Maritime Industry and although i really enjoy working for myself my real passion is simply TRAINS,for a few years now i have had this dream of spending some time track side in and around the Chicago hub in particular the race track where the late great Emery Gulash once filmed the trains along the CB&Q ...This is my mission, to produce a video programme that is both entertaining and is a fitting tribute to his memory, it will also serve as an insight for us Brits back here in the UK and who knows it may even boost tourism in regards to railfanning the area. Emerys films are classics in the Railroad world i want to make and produce a programme that will inspire others to follow in his footsteps like i am trying to do.

Filming locations starting from Cicero to Naperville.

Question: How many freight and passenger trains can be seen during typical daylight hours.
: : Location of Bed & Breakfast in or near to Hinsdale.
: : A Chaperone would be a good idea as i do not know the area...anyone interested?

Included in the proposed project will be on camera interviews with local railfans about the area places to stay and places to eat and what they see in the hobby/pastime.

I Look forward to any comments and suggestions Thank you.
Clive Turner SVP

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Chicago area for British Railfan?

Unread post by dmitzel »

Hi, Clive - welcome to the board.

I live closer to Detroit than Chicago, however my employer's office is in Aurora not far from Eola Yard so I get out there on a semi-regular basis. Usually I take Amtrak from either Pontiac or Lapeer, MI west to Chicago Union Station - hopping a BNSF Metra "dinky" to Lisle, Naperville or the Route 59 station.

I don't know of any B&B's but usually I stay in either the Lisle Hyatt or a Staybridge Suites - the former having a shuttle that will pick me up for free from the Lisle Metra or the later from the Route 59 station. The Hyatt also has an Avis Car Rental agency in-house, so a good way to rent a car for a day or two if not wanting to use public transportation exclusively.

For railfanning I prefer either Naperville or downtown Downers Grove, the latter with a fine hobby shop (Timberline Trains) a few blocks south of the depot if you're into the smaller equipment as I am. I'm sure there are a few on the Illinois board that are more local than I, and they can provide more details.

In the interim visit http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/ and http://www.chicagorailfan.com/mmbnsf.html for more details in advance of your trip.

Cheers!
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

dmitzel wrote:Hi, Clive - welcome to the board.

I live closer to Detroit than Chicago, however my employer's office is in Aurora not far from Eola Yard so I get out there on a semi-regular basis. Usually I take Amtrak from either Pontiac or Lapeer, MI west to Chicago Union Station - hopping a BNSF Metra "dinky" to Lisle, Naperville or the Route 59 station.

I don't know of any B&B's but usually I stay in either the Lisle Hyatt or a Staybridge Suites - the former having a shuttle that will pick me up for free from the Lisle Metra or the later from the Route 59 station. The Hyatt also has an Avis Car Rental agency in-house, so a good way to rent a car for a day or two if not wanting to use public transportation exclusively.

For railfanning I prefer either Naperville or downtown Downers Grove, the latter with a fine hobby shop (Timberline Trains) a few blocks south of the depot if you're into the smaller equipment as I am. I'm sure there are a few on the Illinois board that are more local than I, and they can provide more details.

In the interim visit http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/ and http://www.chicagorailfan.com/mmbnsf.html for more details in advance of your trip.

Cheers!
Hi dmitzel,

Thank you very much for the info, i shall have my own transport so getting around will not be a problem...what i really want is someone to share my experience and who is knowledgeable on the area and its train movements, how much traffic is there on the line and are staion staff rail friendly?

I have to get this trip right and finding a chaperone would be great as it will lessen the risk of wasting valuable time.
Do you know anyone who can help me with my situation?

Regards
Clive
Clive Turner SVP

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'd try the IlliniRail discussion/email list on Yahoo. There are a lot of Chicago area people on there, and a lot of trip reports/discussion of the area you're specifically interested in.

I'm posting from my phone, so I don't have a link to the groups page, but I think if you search yahoo groups for "illinirail" it should pop up.
~ Charles W.

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

Thank you will have a look at that, appreciate it.
Regards

Clive
Clive Turner SVP

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

Thank you to the few who have helped but i am afraid i will have to go about this project alone but thank you to those who put themselves out to help!
Clive Turner SVP

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

Well I don't know any current numbers but there are around 80 Metra commuter trains a day, most in Morning and evening rush hours. Amtrak runs trains long distance trains 3/4/5/6 at around the same time (2-4pm) if everything is on time. Amtrak also has their regional trains throughout the day. I don't know what BNSF is running now with all the new oil traffic but I would guess it at 40+ moves. A lot of new oil trains are running this way with NS heritage units. Basically there is always something running as BNSF doesn't run freight during rush hours so after the rushes there is a lot of freight trying to get into and out of town before the next rush.

When are you thinking of visiting?

Derek

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

[quote="howeld"]Well I don't know any current numbers but there are around 80 Metra commuter trains a day, most in Morning and evening rush hours. Amtrak runs trains long distance trains 3/4/5/6 at around the same time (2-4pm) if everything is on time. Amtrak also has their regional trains throughout the day. I don't know what BNSF is running now with all the new oil traffic but I would guess it at 40+ moves. A lot of new oil trains are running this way with NS heritage units. Basically there is always something running as BNSF doesn't run freight during rush hours so after the rushes there is a lot of freight trying to get into and out of town before the next rush.

Hi Derek, i shall be arriving on the 9th of August and will be spending 10 days on the film shoot, i have a hotel in Westmont IL and my own transport, I may even take a days trip to Rochelle's railfan park for just one day. The Norfolk Southern Heritage units sound brilliant and would be an added bonus to the projected programme.
If you like the idea of meeting up that would be perfect.

Regards

Clive
Clive Turner SVP

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

howeld wrote:Well I don't know any current numbers but there are around 80 Metra commuter trains a day, most in Morning and evening rush hours. Amtrak runs trains long distance trains 3/4/5/6 at around the same time (2-4pm) if everything is on time. Amtrak also has their regional trains throughout the day. I don't know what BNSF is running now with all the new oil traffic but I would guess it at 40+ moves. A lot of new oil trains are running this way with NS heritage units. Basically there is always something running as BNSF doesn't run freight during rush hours so after the rushes there is a lot of freight trying to get into and out of town before the next rush.

Derek
Hi Derek, i shall be arriving on the 9th of August and will be spending 10 days on the film shoot, i have a hotel in Westmont IL and my own transport, I may even take a days trip to Rochelle's railfan park for just one day. The Norfolk Southern Heritage units sound brilliant and would be an added bonus to the projected programme.
If you like the idea of meeting up that would be perfect.

Regards

Clive
Clive Turner SVP

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

If you have the opportunity, you should really stop by the Illinois Railway Museum. I don't believe anything special is running while you will be in the area (unless you count the blue tank engine).

If you decide to visit IRM, let me know and I'll see if I can be there and show you around the property.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

Bulby wrote:If you have the opportunity, you should really stop by the Illinois Railway Museum. I don't believe anything special is running while you will be in the area (unless you count the blue tank engine).

If you decide to visit IRM, let me know and I'll see if I can be there and show you around the property.
Thank you i really appreciate that, is the IRM far from Westmont ..are you local to the area?
Clive Turner SVP

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Clive wrote:Thank you i really appreciate that, is the IRM far from Westmont ..are you local to the area?
I'd say so. It's about 1.5 hours to drive.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Clive
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clive »

railohio wrote:
Clive wrote:Thank you i really appreciate that, is the IRM far from Westmont ..are you local to the area?
I'd say so. It's about 1.5 hours to drive.
Thanks, as much as i would like to go and see the Museum i think i will give it a miss this trip, its the train action i'm interested in and i intend to make sure i get every opportunity to enjoy and capture the American Railroad scene, the BNSF sub division between Lavergne and Naperville will do me just fine and of course the trip to Rochelle.
Clive Turner SVP