Amtrak passengers "trapped" overnight

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak passengers "trapped" overnight

Unread post by bctrainfan »

3 Amtrak trains from the west got stuck in snowdrifts in Illinois overnight with about 500 passengers. All are lucky to have survived according some reports (sinks were backed up + it was inconvenient and uncomfortable=almost certain death ! :mrgreen: )

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... 2418.story

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Amtrak passengers "trapped" overnight

Unread post by Saturnalia »

But unlike their flying comrades, they actually got there.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:But unlike their flying comrades, they actually got there.
At least the airlines will divert to a different airport, or not leave at all. Once you're on AMTRAK, you're stuck. Me personally, if faced between being trapped in a train for 2 days with sinks and toilets backing up, then the general hygiene of the passengers after two days, or not leaving at all....I'll take not leaving at all.

If nothing else, probably guarantees AMTRAK a lot of lost repeat business...

Practice Safe CSX

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

HAH! A friend of mine was traveling eastbound on the Southwest Chief and they where terminated in KC. Amtrak put them up in a hotel last night and was going to make other arrangements to get them to Chicago sometime today. As of 5pm EST they where still waiting on some word from Amtrak, so he's stuck in KC for what appears to be a second night. My personal experience with Amtrak is that once they get you "somewhere" and impart the terminated clause....you are on your own.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

CSX_CO wrote:
At least the airlines will divert to a different airport, or not leave at all. Once you're on AMTRAK, you're stuck. Me personally, if faced between being trapped in a train for 2 days with sinks and toilets backing up, then the general hygiene of the passengers after two days, or not leaving at all....I'll take not leaving at all.

If nothing else, probably guarantees AMTRAK a lot of lost repeat business...

Practice Safe CSX
There is nothing like spending the night in an airline terminal. Even O'Hare gets spooky quiet in the wee hours of the morning.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is worse
BL2-1843 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:47 pm
Speaking of, they finally got the crew off of Q33405 at 22:15 Monday night after 28 hours on duty and 18 of it sitting there on board waiting for somebody to come pick them up.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:This is worse
Speaking of, they finally got the crew off of Q33405 at 22:15 Monday night after 28 hours on duty and 18 of it sitting there on board waiting for somebody to come pick them up.
Hurt me at ~$.55 a minute (or whatever the going rate for OT is now-a-days). I always came prepared with plenty of reading material, plenty of food, drinks, etc.

My 'record' is 22 hrs on duty. I marked off with the crew caller who had called me to work the day prior.

Practice Safe CSX

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

CSX_CO wrote:
AARR wrote:This is worse
Hurt me at ~$.55 a minute (or whatever the going rate for OT is now-a-days). I always came prepared with plenty of reading material, plenty of food, drinks, etc.

My 'record' is 22 hrs on duty. I marked off with the crew caller who had called me to work the day prior.

Practice Safe CSX
That's ~ $33 a hour in overtime pay. Sounds like a good amount of OT pay to me.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

I'd seen something on the news and remember seeing a guy who would "never ride Amtrak again." He was one of the "trapped" passengers and this was his first trip.

I would rather ride on a train than in a plane, because if the engine quits, you don't plummet to the ground.
And there were plenty of people stranded at airports for days.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

JStryker722 wrote: That's ~ $33 a hour in overtime pay. Sounds like a good amount of OT pay to me.
Full rate is that. You don't start out at full rate. You're getting some percentage of that for your first five years.

Practice Safe CSX

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CSX_CO wrote:
JStryker722 wrote: That's ~ $33 a hour in overtime pay. Sounds like a good amount of OT pay to me.
Full rate is that. You don't start out at full rate. You're getting some percentage of that for your first five years.

Practice Safe CSX
80% the first year, then a 5% increase each year after that until you're full rate, FYI.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

SD80MAC wrote: 80% the first year, then a 5% increase each year after that until you're full rate, FYI.
Sort of. When you start, you're 75% of full rate the instant you establish seniority. Upon 'promotion' you go to 80%. HOWEVER, you don't get the next 5% increase until your SECOND 'birthday' on the railroad. The Union and Railroads agreed (before you were probably born mind you) that the 5% was a 'bonus' for getting promoted to conductor. So, 80% to 2 yrs, 85% from 2 to 3 years, 90% from 3rd year to 4th, 95% from 4th to 5th, and finally 100% at your 'fifth' birthday. If you are forced to engine service, you'll bump up 5% upon promotion in that craft, but you're only getting it 'early', you are still on the same wage progression. Ditto for Yardmaster, upon promotion, you'll get a 'bonus' of 5% increase in pay, unless you're already 100%. That is the same agreement that stipulates that post 1981 (or was it the 1984 agreement?) employees are only guaranteed 75% of the full extraboard rate from the agreement date forward.

Of course, even though you're 80% pay, the railroad expects 100% rules compliant, 100% effort, 100% availability, and 100% responsibility. You're also paying 100% of the taxes, health insurance, etc. The Union expects 100% of their dues per month too. The first couple of years are ROUGH on the paycheck...

Practice Safe CSX

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

CSX_CO wrote:
SD80MAC wrote: 80% the first year, then a 5% increase each year after that until you're full rate, FYI.
Sort of. When you start, you're 75% of full rate the instant you establish seniority. Upon 'promotion' you go to 80%. HOWEVER, you don't get the next 5% increase until your SECOND 'birthday' on the railroad. The Union and Railroads agreed (before you were probably born mind you) that the 5% was a 'bonus' for getting promoted to conductor. So, 80% to 2 yrs, 85% from 2 to 3 years, 90% from 3rd year to 4th, 95% from 4th to 5th, and finally 100% at your 'fifth' birthday. If you are forced to engine service, you'll bump up 5% upon promotion in that craft, but you're only getting it 'early', you are still on the same wage progression. Ditto for Yardmaster, upon promotion, you'll get a 'bonus' of 5% increase in pay, unless you're already 100%. That is the same agreement that stipulates that post 1981 (or was it the 1984 agreement?) employees are only guaranteed 75% of the full extraboard rate from the agreement date forward.

Of course, even though you're 80% pay, the railroad expects 100% rules compliant, 100% effort, 100% availability, and 100% responsibility. You're also paying 100% of the taxes, health insurance, etc. The Union expects 100% of their dues per month too. The first couple of years are ROUGH on the paycheck...

Practice Safe CSX
Thanks CSX_CO for letting me know about stuff like this. I applied to a few open railroad positions yesterday under the guidance of John Koops's (the CP conductor on here from Elkhart ) advice and warned me about the paye rate progession. If you are saying the same thing, now I really know to watch the finances during the first 4-5 years.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Thanks CSX_CO for letting me know about stuff like this. I applied to a few open railroad positions yesterday under the guidance of John Koops's (the CP conductor on here from Elkhart ) advice and warned me about the paye rate progession. If you are saying the same thing, now I really know to watch the finances during the first 4-5 years.
Stay marked up once your promoted. Don't go right out and buy a new car or anything major. Remember if lay offs come your the first to go. Keep a lil note book with you ask the old(er) guys what claims you can get and how to put them in, the RR will never show you how to get more money from them. One thing you shouldn't skimp on is good quality boots my last pair were 250+ but lasted 7 years with 1 retread. Also a good carhart COAT not the shorter jacket. Good luck.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

esprrfan wrote:
Stay marked up once your promoted. Don't go right out and buy a new car or anything major. Remember if lay offs come your the first to go. Keep a lil note book with you ask the old(er) guys what claims you can get and how to put them in, the RR will never show you how to get more money from them. One thing you shouldn't skimp on is good quality boots my last pair were 250+ but lasted 7 years with 1 retread. Also a good carhart COAT not the shorter jacket. Good luck.
Thanks for the info!