Getting from Union Station to Blue Island

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Getting from Union Station to Blue Island

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

...and other questions.

For Spring Break, I'll be going to Chicago for the very first time! WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO... Ahem, anyways I have a few questions regarding the area, specifically my target, Blue Island.

Question 1: How do you get from Union Station to Blue Island. This is question number one because it doesn't seem like the mom is going to be renting a car while we're there. I do know the Metra can take us there from Union, but what station do we stop at in order to reach the junction on foot?

Question 2: How much does taking the Metra from Union to the station closest to the Blue Island junction cost? I hear Metra charges taxi-style, so will a trip from downtown to Blue Island and back be expensive?

Question 3: What's a good hotel to stay at nearby Union? I'm not expecting a 5 star hotel but I am looking to get the most bang for my buck so could someone provide me some quality hotels that give a cheap/ decent price, please?

Question 4: Where are all the yards located, CSX's Barr Yard in particular? Are any of them within walking distance of the junction at Blue Island?

Question 5: At Blue Island, arethere any places to sit or be comfortable as well as get some good views of the action?

Question 5: Where are some good places to shop?

Question 6: Where can we find Portillo's?

If anyone can answer all these questions then that will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Getting from Union Station to Blue Island

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Metra's LaSalle street station is about a 10 minute walk from Union Station. That's where you'll catch a train to Blue Island.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:...and other questions.

Question 1: How do you get from Union Station to Blue Island. This is question number one because it doesn't seem like the mom is going to be renting a car while we're there. I do know the Metra can take us there from Union, but what station do we stop at in order to reach the junction on foot?
Union Station to Blue Island? You don't get to Blue Island from there. You have to either take the Rock Island District out of La Salle St Station or Metra Electric from Millennium (Randolph St) Station. On the Rock Island you would get off at Vermont St or on Metra Electric you take a Blue Island Branch train to the end of the line. From there it is about a 1 mile walk along Western Ave and Broadway. The Metra website is your friend... http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home.html
Question 2: How much does taking the Metra from Union to the station closest to the Blue Island junction cost? I hear Metra charges taxi-style, so will a trip from downtown to Blue Island and back be expensive?
On the Rock Island a one way ticket would be $4.75. On the Electric it would also be $4.75. Again, the Metra website is you friend... http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/tickets.html
Question 3: What's a good hotel to stay at nearby Union? I'm not expecting a 5 star hotel but I am looking to get the most bang for my buck so could someone provide me some quality hotels that give a cheap/ decent price, please?
Hotels downtown are expensive. Expect to pay at least $100 a night for a semi crappy hotel.
Question 4: Where are all the yards located, CSX's Barr Yard in particular? Are any of them within walking distance of the junction at Blue Island?
Barr is about 3 miles from Blue Island along roads the are unfriendly to pedestrians who are unfamiliar with the area. If you want to explore around Chicago area yards, rent a car.
Question 5: At Blue Island, are there any places to sit or be comfortable as well as get some good views of the action?
Without a car, you are pretty much limited to the sidewalk
Question 5: Where are some good places to shop?
Downtown? Suburbs? Where?
Question 6: Where can we find Portillo's?
Downtown at 100 W Ontario. All of the others are in the suburbs.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Alright thanks. Any car rental places near Union?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Alright thanks. Any car rental places near Union?
For this one google is your friend ;)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

There's (at least) a Hertz counter in Union Station, but again it won't be cheap.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Save your money and go to places on Metra and not have to worry about renting a car. You can get a weekend pass on the train, which gives you unlimited rides Saturday and Sundays.

The area between Blue Island Junction and Barr Yard is pretty rough and somewhere I DO NOT recommend going on foot.

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:Save your money and go to places on Metra and not have to worry about renting a car. You can get a weekend pass on the train, which gives you unlimited rides Saturday and Sundays.

The area between Blue Island Junction and Barr Yard is pretty rough and somewhere I DO NOT recommend going on foot.
Unfortunately a weekend pass won't do us any good, we'll be there from Monday afternoon thru Thursday evening. I can help with the car rental if need be because I'd really like to see Barr since we'll be in the city for 2 whole days. I'm from the hood so I'm used to hearing gunshots, dogs barking, people yelling, and of course train horns among other things but a metropolitan hood is not a risk worth taking, especially in a city I've never been to so I'll steer clear of that option. If the junction and the yard are really 3 miles apart anyway then walking is already out of the question.

Thank you for the advice but is there another way of getting to Barr via Metra that can perhaps bypass the hazard zone? How close are other yards?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Perhaps you might look at Joliet as an alternative railfanning option. Metra from downtown right to the station. Or even the other way towards Aurora, again on the Metra. Just an idea if push comes to shove....

If you're going from Union to the Metra Electric, go right down Van Buren to the Van Buren St Station (1st station south of Millennium). This will save you several minutes. This is what we did just last weekend to get to the Museum of Science & Industry.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Question 3: What's a good hotel to stay at nearby Union? I'm not expecting a 5 star hotel but I am looking to get the most bang for my buck so could someone provide me some quality hotels that give a cheap/ decent price, please?
There are quite a few hotels within a short walk of Millennium Station. Check the internet discount travel sites (priceline, kayak, etc). You might be able to get a deal on a room close to the electric station.
BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Question 5: Where are some good places to shop?
Is this for your mother's benefit?

If so, if you make it over to Millennium station, you're halfway there. Millennium is near Michigan Avenue, although several blocks south of the "Magnificent Mile." There are a lot of really neat places to go on the 'Mile,' but there are additional places to shop between Millennium and the Chicago River. Also, the former Marshall Fields store on State Street isn't too far away. There are a lot of Chicago guide books and shopping reference things available too with various other locations that are good for shopping too.

BamaSubdivision94 wrote:Question 3: What's a good hotel to stay at nearby Union? I'm not expecting a 5 star hotel but I am looking to get the most bang for my buck so could someone provide me some quality hotels that give a cheap/ decent price, please?
When I first read your question, I thought you were heading for Union, Illinois, home of the Illinois Railway Museum (and at least 10 to 15 miles from the nearest Metra stop). I don't believe they're during the week at the time you'll be in the area though if you make it back during the warmer months, it might be worth the cost of the car rental to spend a day exploring their collection.
~ Charles W.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

I'd suggest riding the Metra BNSF line out of Union to LaGrange Road. Good amount of Metra, BNSF, and in the afternoon 4 Amtraks. A short walk east from the station is La Grange Crossing where the BNSF goes over the IHB, good variety of trains to be seen on that line as well.
Blue Island Crossing is a good railfanning location but Spring/Summer time a little nicer there to railfan as you will be outside from the time you start your walk from Vermont st Station to The Crossing & then back to the station later. Like said, it is a one mile walk.
Good Luck

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

Learn it, live it, love it. You do not want to walk between Blue Island and Barr. Barr is in Riverdale, and that's a rough area even with a car. I used to do a lot of work in that part of town and I know it well. If you want to see a giant freight yard, ride the orange line CTA to Midway and then walk a mile south to BRC Clearing Yard. That is a much safer areas (but don't go east - that's Englewood, up to no good). Alternatively, you can ride Metra-Electric to Homewood (45 minute ride) and you're at the south end of Markham Yard, another busy freight yard.

If you still go to Blue Island (a favorite of mine) remember it's not a bad area but it's not The Hamptons, either. Don't be flashing fancy stuff. The neighborhoods to the east are rough. The Rail Grill is a favorite of mine as there is a traffic lull at lunch.

Other places I like to watch trains in the area:
-Hegewisch
-Roosevelt Road (cover approach tracks to CUS, LaSalle, and Millennium Terminal over about a mile stretch)
-Canal & Lake (covers approach to CUS-North and Northwestern Station)

Also, Grayland Hobby is just off the Edgebrook station on Metra MILW-N. It's a great shop and Steve is a super nice guy.

If you could tell us what you're looking for and what timeframe you have, we can probably give you some good ideas.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Grayland Station is one of my must-stop hobby shops when I'm in the Chicago area. Great prices (despite the high sales taxes in Crook, I mean Cook County) and jammed full of HO, N and Z scales trains plus plane models of just about any size. Plus you can see Metra from the front window (I've never taken the train out there-always driven)!
~ Charles W.

A No.1
To Portland

Unread post by A No.1 »

MKT_fan11 wrote:Grayland Station is one of my must-stop hobby shops when I'm in the Chicago area. Great prices (despite the high sales taxes in Crook, I mean Cook County) and jammed full of HO, N and Z scales trains plus plane models of just about any size. Plus you can see Metra from the front window (I've never taken the train out there-always driven)!
http://www.graylandstation.com/

Is that the place?
Mark it Zero.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

A No.1 wrote:
MKT_fan11 wrote:Grayland Station is one of my must-stop hobby shops when I'm in the Chicago area. Great prices (despite the high sales taxes in Crook, I mean Cook County) and jammed full of HO, N and Z scales trains plus plane models of just about any size. Plus you can see Metra from the front window (I've never taken the train out there-always driven)!
http://www.graylandstation.com/

Is that the place?
It is.

I don't remember him being closed on Tuesdays, although I also don't recall hobby shopping much on Tuesdays in the past... :shock:
~ Charles W.