CN line to Newton

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

CN line to Newton

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

Does anyone know the symbol for the CN local that interchanges with the INRD at Newton? And if any other extra trains run that line? Thanks!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN line to Newton

Unread post by AARR »

Don't know the symbol but your post reminded me of an article in Trains Mag about INRD. There was a power plant that CN served that received 50 car blocks of coal. CN would only switch the plant if there were loads to deliver so the emptys would sit there while the power plant incurred additional charges while the hopper cars sat there until CN would come back and get them (with loads of course).

So INRD offered to pull emptys even if there were no loads to deliver. The power plant paid for a several mile spur off INRD who got the business. I think INRD received the loads from CSX. The plant has grown and now receives frequent large unit trains and of course INRD gets the business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

CSXIndyLine wrote:Does anyone know the symbol for the CN local that interchanges with the INRD at Newton? And if any other extra trains run that line? Thanks!
I think CN will, on occasion, interchange a grain train to the INRD at Newton. Other than that, I don't think they go down there that much.

Practice Safe CSX

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

AARR wrote:Don't know the symbol but your post reminded me of an article in Trains Mag about INRD. There was a power plant that CN served that received 50 car blocks of coal. CN would only switch the plant if there were loads to deliver so the emptys would sit there while the power plant incurred additional charges while the hopper cars sat there until CN would come back and get them (with loads of course).

So INRD offered to pull emptys even if there were no loads to deliver. The power plant paid for a several mile spur off INRD who got the business. I think INRD received the loads from CSX. The plant has grown and now receives frequent large unit trains and of course INRD gets the business.
By the time the INRD got the contract, the plant was taking in unit trains of coal. Plant can hold two trains, usually one load, and one empty. With increases in track speed, INRD can run 1 crew from the interchange at Terre Haute, to the plant, and back now in 12 hrs. Power swaps on the train sets, and an outside contractor conducts the air test on the empty trainset before it the crews arrive. Trains now have to run an additional ~130 miles to get to the plant, and actually pass within viewing distance on the CSX St. Louis line of the plant before heading 70 miles east, 30 miles south, and 60 miles back west. Reason INRD got the business was because CN couldn't be counted on to deliver the unit trains in a timely manner. They'd sit on them in Chicago after interchage from the UP. For better or for worse, CSX stores the loaded trains at St. Louis until the plant is ready for them. For awhile the trains ran UP to Chicago, CSX to Sullivan, interchanged to INRD. Then, it was UP to St Louis, CSX To Terre Haute, INRD to Sullivan via CSX, then to the plant. With better track, INRD keeps the train on its rails the entire time now.

Practice Safe CSX

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

i believe that the symbol for the CN turn from Effingham to Newton is the L556. It ran nightly a few years ago, i'd say it runs As Required now.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

When & how often does the INRD go to Newton to work?

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

An aforementioned coal train heads to the power plant at Liz,Il (about 10 miles southwest of Newton) most days, without, to my knowledge, a schedule.

i understand there to be a pair of INRD switchers that run west from the yard in Palestine,Il. The one during the daytime is supposed to only work as far as Robinson (to the Heath bar factory, and the Marathon oil refinery among others). The other during the nighttime is supposed to run out to Newton (only M-F, as per another list, i'd believe it)

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Thanks,
Is the yard at Palestine still pretty much "wide open" for photography ? Are the coal trains pulled by INRD engs ? Will be down there next thurs, hoping for good weather of course.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Fred wrote:Are the coal trains pulled by INRD engs ? Will be down there next thurs, hoping for good weather of course.
From what I have read and pictures I have seen most trains are pulled by INRD engines but I would think other companies power makes appearances occasionally.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CSXIndyLine
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXIndyLine »

Fred wrote:Thanks,
Is the yard at Palestine still pretty much "wide open" for photography ? Are the coal trains pulled by INRD engs ? Will be down there next thurs, hoping for good weather of course.
The Ameren coal train to Newton are pulled by big UP AC powered 6 axles.

chriiis
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chriiis »

In the thread "INRD/ISRR diamond in Switz City", it was asked:
trainjunkie47 wrote:Does anyone know the approximate times and days of the Newton Turn, CN and INRD's joint service to Indy?
Since CN and INRD have been running double stacks to Indianapolis, I believe the interchange at Newton has become more regular. On the east end, I see the stacks at least 5 days per week, often 6.

My understanding is that the only operational change is that the SAHW runs from Indy thru to Palestine,il then to Jasonville (i have only heard this, but can't personally corroborate it). Then in the evening, turns from Effingham and Palestine run to Newton for a midnight-ish "headlight meet" and return. I'm not sure about the inbound cans get from Palestine to Jasonville. I'm also not sure how the cans come down from Chicago, but the one time I happened upon them in Illinois I watched the empty cans get kicked up the line by CN's A431 then get passed to a local for Champaign at Matoon.

While on the podium, I'll add two more details to the above thread. The rare unit grain trains via Newton come a few elevators on INRD in Illinois. In addition to the UP-CSX-INRD coal, the Ameren power plant at Newton would also receive Wyoming coal via BNSF-CN.