CSX Derailment in South Chicago

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

CSX Derailment in South Chicago

Unread post by trnwatcher »

edit - A freind sent me this earlier this AM.

CHICAGO (AP) — A freight train struck the rear of another freight train in southwest Chicago early Sunday, derailing several rail cars and damaging a third freight train on an adjacent track, authorities said. Local reports said power was briefly knocked out to more than 2,500 people in the neighborhood.
There were no immediate reports of any injuries following the derailment shortly before 2 a.m. CDT Sunday, CSX rail spokesman Bob Sullivan told The Associated Press.
Eight full-sized cars went off the tracks and one slid down an embankment into a backyard, a Chicago fire official and media affairs director, Larry Langford, told The Chicago Sun-Times.
At least one of the trains was carrying liquid waste, Langford told the newspaper. The report said emergency crews initially called for a hazardous materials response as a precaution, but no hazardous materials were detected and no leaks discovered.
Sullivan said one train formation bound from Nashville, Tenn., to Chicago had two locomotives and 13 freight cars; another from Albany, N.Y., to Chicago had four locomotives and 93 freight cars and a third on a route from Flint, Mich., to Chicago had two locomotives and 130 freight cars.
But he said he had no specifics on which train hit the other and which was on the adjacent track. He also said rail officials were at the site investigating and he had no immediate information on any loads or cargo aboard the trains.
"CSX is working with local first responders gathering additional information," he told AP, adding the derailment remains under investigation.
He added that the primary focus remained on public safety.
Some local reports initially said the derailment occurred in an area of elevated tracks, but Sullivan said he had no comment on those reports.
Local radio and press reports said several city blocks in Chicago's southwest district were without power for a time early Sunday.
Utility provider ComEd did not immediately answer calls from AP seeking further details.
ComEd's online map of power outages indicated one outage early Sunday had affected more than 2,100 customers in the area.
___
Information from: WBBM-AM, http://www.wbbm780.com
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Re: CSX Derailment in South Chicago

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Isn't that the second CSX wreck this year that involves 3 trains, all of which were going in the same direction, and was started by a rear-ending?
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

MQT3001 wrote:Isn't that the second CSX wreck this year that involves 3 trains, all of which were going in the same direction, and was started by a rear-ending?
Yes.

I'm going to guess that two of the trains involved were Q192 (Nash-Chi w/13 cars -- haha I cheated, UP screen verifies 13 cars), E945 coal empties from Flint-Chi and then something else, not sure about the Albany-Chi train.

Q192 is verified, E945 is still an educated guess...
Last edited by Mr. Tops on Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Isn't that the second CSX wreck this year that involves 3 trains, all of which were going in the same direction, and was started by a rear-ending?
Knowing the area in question, that's a bad spot with a sharp S-curve and grade up to a elevation. Heavy tree cover on the sides too. But, still all the more reason to be going under control at restricted speed provided the signals at 87th Street were operating.

And, this stretch didn't have signals until late 2000 or 2001. It was "Main Track Yard Limits" between 75th Street and Vermont Ave/Blue Island Jct. So, everything had to move at controlled speed not exceeding 20.

Practice Safe CSX

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

K-253 was other train.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Interesting if it indeed was Q192, in that the UP computer shows it going via the C&WI to the BRC @ 80th Street. It can go either way to 59th Street, but it shows OS'ing Oakdale on the C&WI at 0024 this morning. So, hmm...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Csx shows going via blue island sub and around Barr. Times match the report too.
Didn't hit 138th at dolton until 0200 eastern.

Practice safe CSX

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

CSX_CO wrote:Csx shows going via blue island sub and around Barr. Times match the report too.
Didn't hit 138th at dolton until 0200 eastern.

Practice safe CSX
That's what I figured, UP computer lying again. I think they have it bulletined to run one way and don't change the schedule when it runs another way. They just make up times to show on the schedule to make them look good. :P

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Q192 rear ended K253 and then into E945 on the other track.

Guess I'll have to watch my back now that Danville crews are crashin.

Wrong Main
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wrong Main »

Was that a Danville crew on K253? Not many Danville crews were qualified going "up the Hill" to 75th St.
Wrong Main
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Wrong Main wrote:Was that a Danville crew on K253? Not many Danville crews were qualified going "up the Hill" to 75th St.
Q192 would have been a Danville Crew. K train was probably either a Willard or Garrett crew.

Practice Safe CSX

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Wrong Main wrote:Was that a Danville crew on K253? Not many Danville crews were qualified going "up the Hill" to 75th St.
What is up third trick! There has been a major push in the last year or so to get Danville crews qualified up the hill and over the IHB to Bedford. Most of the pig trains run that way now, and no longer go up to 80th.

Hope retirement is going well for you.

Wrong Main
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wrong Main »

Retirement is what I was made for, should have done it sooner. Since I've been gone, you guys are doing a fine job of ruin...I mean running the railroad. And retirement means no more 3rd trick; how about you?
Wrong Main
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!!

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Since you left it seems as though I have took your place on 3rd trick. Other than that, I have no complaints.