ICE

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Josh
Railroadfan...fan

ICE

Unread post by Josh »

Can someone tell me how busy the ICE is between Savanna and Elgin? As well any signals, scanner frequencies, good photo spots etc. I've been wanting to give this line a try for a while now but never knew enough about it. Any info would be appriciated!

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: ICE

Unread post by redside20 »

Josh wrote:Can someone tell me how busy the ICE is between Savanna and Elgin? As well any signals, scanner frequencies, good photo spots etc. I've been wanting to give this line a try for a while now but never knew enough about it. Any info would be appriciated!
Two regulars each way 272 and 273 and 588 and 589, one local I believe is the B66 or B67 plus grain and 600 symbol ethanol movements to and from places like Mason City Iowa, Calmar Hill, and to the D&I in Western Iowa/Nebraska. 272 will set out cars at Davis Junction for the local to take to Rockford and Beloit, and runs in the mid morning, 273 runs in the afternoon and 589 runs in the evening and 588 late at night. There is talk of running stack trains down the line to the UP at either Clinton Ia or Kansas City. From what I've been gathering, there is a defect detector at Pingree Grove just west of Elgin
Exit stage left

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Not really busy enough to sit on the ICE unless you're in Savanna and will be BNSF, too. I'd recommend staying in the Rochelle area, listening for a track warrant, and intercepting from there. With a good scanner and a magmount antenna you can hear the dispatcher from Elgin to Savanna. Chasing on the state highways is easy enough.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

588 and 589 have been cut from the system, 272 and 273 now do the work in Savanna on their way to Nahant rather than having two trains each way.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway