Englewood Flyover

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Englewood Flyover

Unread post by twropr »

Last keep, on Monday the 10th I believe, there was a ground breaking ceremony to acknowledge the beginning of work on the Englewood flyover project. Metra, who manages the project, told me very little other than (a) the railroads are starting some unspecified preliminary work and (b) a contractor still needs to be selected.

Andy

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Englewood Flyover

Unread post by twropr »

Metra has selected an engineering design firm to plan the project and will start receiving bids from contractors on April 9, 2012 (had to put the year because it's been a long time since we've heard anything on this project).

Andy

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The bid opening was postponed to April 10, 2012 at 1400 local time. No bid results posted as of 1900 local time.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Quite a few of the new bridge supports are up in place as metra rock uses shoo flys

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Metra issued a press release advising time that the Dan Ryan Expressway will experience lane shifts or closures due to their contractor erecting steel girders and concrete piers for the flyover. It begins Mon. Oct. 14 and continues thru Thur. Nov. 7, with complete highway shutdowns Sat. nights midnight-5 am and 1 am-5 am the other days.
For those of you who live in the area, I would be interested in knowing when Metra starts using flagmen to protect movements on NS' Chicago Line and the CTA Red Line.

Andy

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

esprrfan wrote:Quite a few of the new bridge supports are up in place as metra rock uses shoo flys
Just checking to ask if anyone has been in the area to see what kind of progress is being made on this project.'

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Isn't it done?

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Metra site says completion by the end of 2014, but they also have a line for "percent completed" that has no info, so.....

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

It doesn't appear to be done yet. Just through yesterday. The spans are up and on the support piers but it looks like there is still more work to be done. I'm not sure if the track is on the spans yet for certain but it doesn't appear that it is there.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Jetlink Driver wrote:It doesn't appear to be done yet. Just through yesterday. The spans are up and on the support piers but it looks like there is still more work to be done. I'm not sure if the track is on the spans yet for certain but it doesn't appear that it is there.
That is pretty much what I saw when I drove under it this past weekend getting onto the Skyway. It appeared as though all the beams were up and in place but that there is significant work left before the deck is complete.

OctaveCCrow
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OctaveCCrow »

I have been unable to find any detailed drawings of the final track plan. The flyover itself is pretty easy to figure out but does anyone know whether there will be a link between the Rock Island and the NS tracks after the project is finished? It would require leaving the existing RI bridge in place, leaving some of the existing track in place but putting a curve and switchwork near the current crossover. I recollect reading that there has been a proposal to divert Amtrak Chicago-St. Louis trains to the Rock Island trackage and without such a junction point (it would be under the flyover) there would be no way for these trains to access Union Station unless they left the Rock Island at some point further south. Anybody know about this? Thanks!

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

OctaveCCrow wrote:I have been unable to find any detailed drawings of the final track plan. The flyover itself is pretty easy to figure out but does anyone know whether there will be a link between the Rock Island and the NS tracks after the project is finished? It would require leaving the existing RI bridge in place, leaving some of the existing track in place but putting a curve and switchwork near the current crossover. I recollect reading that there has been a proposal to divert Amtrak Chicago-St. Louis trains to the Rock Island trackage and without such a junction point (it would be under the flyover) there would be no way for these trains to access Union Station unless they left the Rock Island at some point further south. Anybody know about this? Thanks!
No, there's no connection between NS and Metra/rock at 515. It might appear that way in the NE corner that tracks going along the edge of 63rd st yard (Park Manor) go up and connect but the yard tracks end in a stub lead not too far north of the diamonds

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

I read on another forum that the Englewood flyover is now handling Metra trains - can anyone verifty this?
Andy
Jacksonville, FL

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Yep the diamonds are being removed today, as I crossed the #2 main ones were already out.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Learned from another forum that the flyover was placed into full service this past weekend. Don't know why Metra has not put out an announcement or held a press conference as this is quite an accomplishment - the first passenger/freight grade seperation under the CREATE program.

Andy

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

Metra finally had its press conference and grand opening event:
http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/util ... yover.html

Andy