Another tower going bye-bye.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Another tower going bye-bye.

Unread post by Typhoon »

Blue Island tower is scheduled to convert to dispatcher control on December 18th. The CSX RA dispatcher will now controll the diamonds. This sounds like the 1st step in CSX getting the Elsdon sub from the CN, which has been rumored for some time.
Last edited by Typhoon on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Another tower going bye-bye.

Unread post by rob »

it's going to happen. csx is planning crossovers at vermont ave. this is so csx has access to clearing without using the ns or up.. there is talk of a connection at wellsboro also.

rob

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

It sounds like the CN put the memo out before they were ready to turn it over. So the operator will stay in place, for now.

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

Well, if Blue Island does get taken out of service, that leaves UD Tower in Joliet, Dolton Tower, JB Tower in West Chicago, Hick and Calumet towers in East Chicago and Rondout tower as the major well-known towers left. Dolton Tower may be on borrowed time too. Dolton is supposed to come down in the next few years when the junction gets realigned, and JB Tower probably won't last long with the CN takeover of the EJ&E. There are currently 7 major towers left in Chicago, and out of those, 4 are pretty safe, at least for now. Corwith was the 8th but that was taken out of service last year and has since been demolished.

CSX getting the GTW in Blue Island makes perfect sense, less congestion on the IHB between Blue Island and Clearing Yard, which at times can be backed up with parked trains.
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

There is/was a B&O Tower Job on the St. Charles Air Line that controled the bridges over the Chicago River.

Also, Typhoon may be able to elaborate more, but Calumet Tower isn't necessarily a 'tower' anymore. Its manned, but the operator is more of a 'train director' then full fledged operator. He moves trains under the RA's guide. Last I knew, the only thing he could do was 'block out' the B&OCT if the IHB had switching moves to make out of Michigan Ave Yard.

Practice Safe CSX

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Oops, one more to add to the list, 16th Street in downtown Chicago which is where Metra crosses the St. Charles airline.

The ones that have closed the last few years are Brighton Park (not really a tower but a shanty) and Corwith. Both are now completely gone, as the shanty at Brighton Park was burned by vandals (the only thing remaining is the levers) and Corwith was torn down by BNSF.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

CSX_CO wrote:There is/was a B&O Tower Job on the St. Charles Air Line that controled the bridges over the Chicago River.

Also, Typhoon may be able to elaborate more, but Calumet Tower isn't necessarily a 'tower' anymore. Its manned, but the operator is more of a 'train director' then full fledged operator. He moves trains under the RA's guide. Last I knew, the only thing he could do was 'block out' the B&OCT if the IHB had switching moves to make out of Michigan Ave Yard.

Practice Safe CSX

The B&O tower job is filled about 9 months out of the year. As for Cal Tower, yea the operator is really just a figure head, I don't know why the Harbor keeps him there.

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Well, in the case of JB tower, part of the reason the J kept it open so they could retain control over the crossing instead of giving it up to UP. The other part is that it would be difficult for the dispatcher to control such a busy crossing with heavy Metra traffic on top of all the freight. The J has actually been pretty good throughout the years of giving Metra priority over their own trains.

I think it's the same thing with UD Tower, that would probably be a difficult one for a dispatcher to control with the heavy Metra, Amtrak and freight activity.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

So, I was a little ahead of myself when I started this thread a couple of years ago. People have always said that I am ahead of my time.

The BI operators got their job abolishment notices last week, June 8th is the date being tossed around. :D

The balance of power is shifting, and the IHB is very upset. :lol:

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

CN Just issued the bulletins for the shift yesterday (6-6-13). CSX is supposed to get control at 0800 June 8th.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Hick tower don't control the interlocking anymore hasn't for over a year.