Cicero or Further West?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.

Cicero or Further West?

Unread postby NSSD70ACe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:05 pm

The University is having a Fall Break for the first time in history this year and I've decided to use my AGR points to go to Chicago. I'm planning on about an hour at Roosevelt Road for Amtrak and then heading out down the Racetrack. Cicero has been on my list, but I also want to maximize train count as I'm only in town that one day, picking up 354 to head back home. Should I go to the Cicero Metra station, just east of the BNSF Cicero Terminal, or head further west to the Western Springs area?

Thanks,

-NSSD
If the Conductor is in charge of the train, then why is he promoted to Engineer?
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Cicero or Further West?

Unread postby Ypsi » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Brwyn is where I go to, it is the west of the yard. More trains go west/ come in there.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread postby SD80MAC » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 am

Western Springs is a nice spot to camp out, as is Hinsdale.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread postby GTW6401 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Dont bother with Cicero... the surrounding area is lousy and photography is limited. Ive been to Cicero many times but never without a car..

Anything west of Lavergne is pretty good. The neighborhoods get better the further west also...

I usually end up in Berwyn and Riverside. Lavergne is where the CN to Iowa crosses over BNSF.
GTW6401
how bout no

Unread postby NSSD70ACe » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm

GTW6401 wrote:Dont bother with Cicero... the surrounding area is lousy and photography is limited. Ive been to Cicero many times but never without a car..

Anything west of Lavergne is pretty good. The neighborhoods get better the further west also...

I usually end up in Berwyn and Riverside. Lavergne is where the CN to Iowa crosses over BNSF.

I'm gonna probably end up in the Berwyn area at the minimum. Western Springs is also on the list but I'm also considering the potential commute time between there and CUS so I'm not having to leave 45 minutes earlier than I want.
If the Conductor is in charge of the train, then why is he promoted to Engineer?
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Return to Illinois Talk