Zion Nuclear Power Plant

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
minernut333
Railroadfan...fan

Zion Nuclear Power Plant

Unread post by minernut333 »

I went fishing yesterday out of Winthrop Harbor. My father called the Zion Nuclear Power Plant "The Cooker". Thinking about Zion, if it's shut down then why are the Union Pacific Spur Tracks into Zion Active :?: I just looked on Google Maps and noticed new track work :? . I remember that those tracks were cut.
Minernut MRC333

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Zion Nuclear Power Plant

Unread post by trnwatcher »

They might be getting ready to start hauling the contaminated material out of there. I know when they dismantled the Charlevoix MI nuke plant part of the reactor and associated building was loaded onto trucks then hauled over the GLC and loaded on flat cars. If the tracks are now back in....thy might be getting things in place to start taking parts of it out of there.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

minernut333
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by minernut333 »

Thanks for the information. I really did wish they didn't shut down the nuclear power plant. If you need any information I'm always open for help.

Seyllermartin@yahoo.com
Minernut MRC333

chazewood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chazewood »

The switch into the Zion nukie was re-installed during summer of 2012, IIRC July or early August. Shortly after, the UP brought about 30-40 cars to the plant. THey are decommissioning the plant.

Charles Heraver