Intermodal facility proposals for LaPort County IN "dea

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Intermodal facility proposals for LaPort County IN "dea

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://cms.ibj.com/ASPXPages/6iframes/F ... &NoFrame=1

CSX Announces that it has "no interest" in the Wellsboro/Union Mills/Kingsbury IN area, choosing North Baltimore Ohio instead. CN announced a similar lack of interest in the Indiana Location.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Should make the NIMBY neighbors in La Porte County happy.
Norm

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I guess some people are perfectly content with soybean fields and 12% unemployment.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I can see both sides to that particular situation. On the one hand, that part of Indiana really needed the jobs that the facility would have brought to the table. From the farmers perspective (I grew up in a farm environment), I can also appreciate the "emotional" value they place on good farm land. I also have a feeling that those who screamed the loudest against the propsal were not farmers that had the land in their famlies for generations.
Frankly, I was surprised that a facility did not end up at the Kingsbury Ordnance Plant grounds. That would have been an ideal location for an intermodal facility out in that area. Unless the protestors consider the WW 2 era ruins on the site to have a more pleasing appearance than the investment and building of the yard would have.
In any event, the North Baltimore location will prove to be a boon to Northwestern Ohio and I'm glad that the facility is coming to "my part of the world" to help our area grow ecconomically.