Indianapolis Q&A

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Indianapolis Q&A

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Any good resources for railfanning the Big City of Indy? Been going down that way for work on Tuesdays every week and during my free time I'd love to learn how stuff works, where things are, etc. So far I've found Avon Yard and the Beech Grove shops but beyond that I don't really know where to go and what runs where. Besides Amtrak and CSX I've seen the Indiana RR once by dumb luck but I'm not sure if there's any other short lines or industrial operations to look out for. Doesn't seem like NS has a real presence down in Indianapolis compared to other areas of the state and its mostly CSX.

Any advice or help is appreaciated.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Indianapolis Q&A

Unread post by CSXBOY »

CSX runs 25-30 trains a day including grain, intermodal, mixed freights and etc. Avon Yard is one of the last active humps on the system I think. West of Avon yard going towards St Louis, it's mostly foreign power with many trains consisting of Union Pacific power. The Indiana railroad may be worth your time due to the fact that they are quickly replacing the SD90MACS. I think the road train heads south out of Indy for Jasonville IN sometime in the afternoon unless the times have been changed. There is also a job that heads to Avon Yard to interchange with CSX. Muncie IN is also a good spot to go. Its about an hour north of Indy and its where the CSX Indy line crosses the Norfolk Southern New Castle District and Frankfort District. Around 30-35 trains a day and NS is at its busiest during the daytime as of late 2021. I think they even got a viewing platform now. Sign up for this website https://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php this forum covers the majority of Indiana.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

So, Indiana RR is going to replace the SD90'S. Wonder what they will replace them with?? Any ideas, anyone??

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:16 am
So, Indiana RR is going to replace the SD90'S. Wonder what they will replace them with?? Any ideas, anyone??
They've already replaced them with former Norfolk Southern SD70Ms. I believe all of the 90s are stored now, pending retirement.

"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

The SD70 seems to be the SD40 of the 2000's, everybody likes them. About the SD90's-- they were not that old, so what was the issue with replacing them?? I thought they were a good loco.............

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Good to know, I am just glad I ran into one SD90MAC leader on one of my road trips while driving through Indy.

bob durnell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bob durnell »

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:22 pm
The SD70 seems to be the SD40 of the 2000's, everybody likes them. About the SD90's-- they were not that old, so what was the issue with replacing them?? I thought they were a good loco.............

The 90's were getting quite a bit of age on them and likely were due for major upgrades, which gets complicated and expensive on the early generation EMD AC traction locomotives, and with the coal business continuing to dwindle, they really don't need AC for the moderate sized manifest trains they are running.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks, Bob!!