South Shore Double Track

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: South Shore Double Track

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Miller will be 767 parking spaces (486 in main "west" lot) and two high platforms. Access from US-12/20 (three entrances west lot, two entrances east lot). A nice station building near the platforms.

Ogden Dunes will be 560 parking spaces (206 on the north side, 354 across the street) and one high platform. Access from US-12 (one entrance per lot - separate exit on north lot). No station building.

Dune Park will be 615 parking spaces (210 in "west" lot but east lot can access east end of platform) one high platform. Access from US-12 with SR-49 feeding US-12 nearby. Two entrances off US-12. A nice station building connected to the high platform.

Michigan City will be ~108 surface parking spaces next to the platform and 20 in the overflow lot on the other side of 11th St. 558 parking spaces in the garage to be shared with 208 residential units (at last report). Not the easiest station to access thanks to Michigan City's aversion to north south through streets, but Pine St will feed the garage and surface parking from US 20 several blocks north of the station. (Hope you like 4 way stops.) Spring St also connects to the surface lot. Station building connected to the north platform.

With the 200 series trains added I believe Miller will be a popular option. I don't expect many people will be driving past any of these stations because the next one is "better" (although personal preferences will exist).

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Track 2 is connected and in use as the main line past the Miller Station
20230819-Miller1.jpg
West end where the old track is disconnected to the left.
20230819-Miller2.jpg
The new connection track to CSX.
20230819-Miller3.jpg
Looking past Platform 2 and up the hill toward Michigan City.

The area near the track at Lake St is torn up to the point I did not feel comfortable walking through the construction zone far enough to reach the rails from either side (I try to stay on roads and sidewalks and none exist). That is not stopping people from crossing the tracks to get to McDonalds and other businesses (but locals seem to cross where they want anywhere between Clay St and Lake St).

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Test trains running on new South Shore tracks

https://www.lpheralddispatch.com/news/l ... 5d4f3.html

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

There seemed to be several teams out today fixing things between Dune Park and Michigan City. A ballast train was working track 1 westbound from CP 33.3 (Michigan Ave) and left the train at 11th St station before quitting time. There were also signal installers and overhead electric trucks at various places along the line.

Over 17 months after the last train ran under electric power on that segment of the railroad (MP 33 to MP 43 Dune Park). Catenary is up to just past MP 44 west of Dune Park (Waverly Rd).

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

Are all of the new signals installed (mounted) yet, at least east of Dune Park?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:53 pm
Are all of the new signals installed (mounted) yet, at least east of Dune Park?
Yes, and they are in service for the test trains. CP 43.5 Dune Park to CP 33.3 Michigan Ave,

Most of the signals west of Dune Park have also been placed.

The big to do:
Track 1 signals at CP 57.5 EJ&E crossing. The new EB Track 2 has been placed but not activated. The existing EB signal is in the way of the new Track 1.
CP 55.7 ? Miller (at Clay St) ... signals up and universal crossover almost complete.
CP 55.0 ? Miller Station ... no signals yet but Track 2 is in service past the station with the gauntlet and Track 1 is built as far east as Lake St.
CP 54.0 - Needs removal
New Intermediates at MP 53.1 ... placed for both tracks.
CP 50.5 ? Ogden Dunes ... signals up, including intermediates on Track 2. Track 1 needs to be cut for the gauntlet to be installed.
Intermediates 491/492 ... pending removal?
New Intermediates 479/480 ... between Ogden Dunes and Bailly. One WB signal head seems to be missing.
CP 47.5 - Needs removal
CP 46.5 ? West Bailly ... signals up, track work underway. Track 1 is approaching from the east and will soon be complete between here and Michigan City.
New Intermediates at MP 45.1 ... signals up replacing former 451/452 intermediate at Mineral Springs Rd.
CP 43.9 East Bailly ... signals up, track work continues.

"Completed":
MP 44.0 to MP 33.0 - all track work, catenary and signalling. First test was last Wednesday.
NEW CP 43.5 Dune Park for the gauntlet and left hand crossover east of the gauntet
NEW intermediates at 41.3 and 39.7 between Dune Park and Tamarack
CP 37.9 ? Tamarack ... new universal crossover
CP 36.0 Power ... Freight access to Lincoln Yard (and connection to Amtrak Michigan Line) on Track 2. Intermediate on Track 1.
CP 34.5 Amtrak 10th St
NEW CP 33.5 11th St Station (gauntlets both tracks)
NEW CP 33.3 Michigan Ave (end of double track)
CP 32.2 Shops ... one signal head changed to provide approach diverging for CP 33.3.

(Unneeded intermediates and old CPs have been removed.)
Double Track catenary ends at Waverly Rd (near MP 44 west of Dune Park).

Overall:
Track 2 (north track) is complete from Gary to Michigan City except a realignment at CP 47.5.
Track 1 (south track) is complete from approximately 46.5 to Michigan City.
Work is underway extending Track 1 past West Bailly west to the to be removed CP 47.5 (crossing the new bridges in Burns Harbor).
Work is underway extending Track 1 from the Miller station west to Gary (currently reaching CP 57.5).
Work extending Track 1 east from Miller to the to be removed CP 54.0 should begin soon but the bridge over CSX has not yet been installed.

The ? marks next to some CP numbers are because I have not confirmed the CP numbers at those locations. Names may also vary.
All of this post is from observation of the work in progress.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

Awesome summary - thanks a lot

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A small sign in this picture makes it my favorite for this weekend. "END CTC". This picture was taken at Dune Park looking west, which means CTC has been extended from Michigan City to this point at the west end of CP 43.5. CTC has been out of service since February 28th, 2022, for construction. The temporary "END CTC" and derail near MP 33 in Michigan City have been removed.

This picture shows track 2 with track 1 to the left not shown. In the background is the not in service CP 43.9 at East Bailly. Derails are in place at CP 43.9 to protect the construction west of that point.
20230826-DunePark.jpg
Other Observations:
CP 34.5 for Amtrak is now CP 34.6
The tactile platform edge at Beverly Shores has been removed. Construction markers have been placed to install two pads (one on either side of the track) for an ADA lift. This will make the station accessible.
Wabash Ave appears ready to open except a traffic light modification.

The northbound traffic light on Franklin has been modified. The original light had a diffuser that made it impossible to see the red light from more than 50ft away from the intersection. Last weekend I watched a police car and other vehicles blow through that light as if it were not there. This weekend the red light can be seen from blocks away. The light on Washington has not yet been fixed ... I assume it will be along with the one on Wabash.

Ohio St is still being worked on.
Michigan Ave has lane closures as the construction crew prepares to replace the curbs and center median to remove access to the old westbound lane of 11th St and make left turns permanently difficult.

10th St is being marked up for curb work and the removal of the last section of street running track remaining.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A quick look at Miller ...
Looking westbound from the east edge of Lake St. The closest track is the CSX connection. The next track is Main 2 (in service). The third track is Main 1. The old main and connection track have been removed and were to the right of the new connection track.
20230826-Miller1.jpg
Looking eastbound from the west edge of Lake St. Same tracks right to left (CSX, Main 2 and the space for Main 1). The rail for Main 1 is just to the east edge of the Lake St. The car storage yard will be connected to Main 1.
20230826-Miller2.jpg
A closer look at the CSX connection and short storage track. The connection has been realigned to match the new alignment past the station.
20230826-Miller3.jpg

JSOH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JSOH »

Thank you for posting these updates, justalurker66!

JSOH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JSOH »

I thought I read somewhere that there is now a connecting track between the SSL and Amtrak line from MI. Is there plans to move Amtrak to the SSL to access Chicago?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

JSOH wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:54 pm
I thought I read somewhere that there is now a connecting track between the SSL and Amtrak line from MI. Is there plans to move Amtrak to the SSL to access Chicago?
That connection has been there forever. It goes via the NIPSCO yard and was originally the interchange point between the Monon and SSL.

There have been rumors of Amtrak looking into shifting to the SSL, but I’ve never heard or read anything concrete.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JSOH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JSOH »

Saturnalia wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:39 pm
JSOH wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:54 pm
That connection has been there forever. It goes via the NIPSCO yard and was originally the interchange point between the Monon and SSL.

There have been rumors of Amtrak looking into shifting to the SSL, but I’ve never heard or read anything concrete.
Ah yes, I see it now on Google. I imagine it hinges on the Crossrail Chicago plan getting approval for funding. I would think they would also route the Capitol and Lake Shore onto the SSL, and possibly the Cardinal when they get the West Lake section done, if funding gets approved, but I won't hold my breath.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unless they throw a lot of money at NICTD for trackage rights I hope Amtrak never uses the NICTD line.

West Lake is not designed for Amtrak's trains. High level platforms and no gauntlets that Amtrak would need to pass slowly. Putting a connector in at the Munster end would be the easy part. The main South Shore line handles freights so they could physically handle an Amtrak train but the South Shore is not as isolated as the NS line so the city speed restrictions and slowing for gauntlets may balance out any benefit from getting out of the congestion of the NS line.

The physical connection between South Shore and Amtrak in Michigan City would need to be upgraded (not an impossible task - just money). For the limiteds (Capital and Lake Shore) to use the line a connection to the NS would be needed. Burns Harbor would allow a double track to double track connection. New Carlisle or South Bend would require Amtrak to run on the South Shore's single track.

Of course the Chicago end needs to be upgraded as well to provide a connection either via the "Crossrail" connection or Grand Junction. So if you have a billion dollars and a dream there are possibilities.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

justalurker66 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:31 pm
West Lake is not designed for Amtrak's trains. High level platforms and no gauntlets that Amtrak would need to pass slowly.
The Amtrak equipment should have no issue fitting by the high-level platforms, they are industry standard.

The Chicago Line is the best route around the south side of the lake, no matter who tries to tell you otherwise. All of the other options are convoluted, indirect and full of problems. The biggest thing is NS' dispatching, which has improved over the last year. However, at some point, they make have to fork over the additional cash for triple tracking from 501 to 482.

The SSL will have most of the double track capacity eaten up with its own trains, especially once one considers that Amtrak would demand first priority, even as the tenant operator, while trying to run express among the local stopping SSL services.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:23 pm
The Amtrak equipment should have no issue fitting by the high-level platforms, they are industry standard.
With Amtrak maintenance I'd rather see them on the gauntlets further away from the platforms. Feet are better than inches. :shock:
Saturnalia wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:23 pm
The SSL will have most of the double track capacity eaten up with its own trains,
Yep. The 21 train daily schedule will have an additional 14 trains in May 2024 and 10 more for West Lake in 2025 (affecting Chicago to Hammond).

No one should assume that the South Shore tracks are available for Amtrak.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Labor Day Weekend - back to Miller for an update -
20230902-Miller1.jpg
The crossing at Lake St from the south. The rails are in place and construction is working on the curbing.
20230902-Miller2.jpg
Looking westbound at the platform of the new station from between the two main lines.
20230902-Miller3.jpg
Looking eastbound away from the station as the main lines climb the hill over the CSX line. The CSX connection is off to the left - the train storage yard will be off to the right.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

20230902-Miller4.jpg
Looking at the new crosswalk across Lake St protected by the traffic signal that will also control the intersection of Lake and 7th north of the tracks.
20230902-Miller5.jpg
Looking east at the tracks heading up the hill. The sidewalk is on the north edge of the new east parking lot. Note the parking lot lights will also light a walkway in the car storage yard.
20230902-Miller6.jpg
Looking southeast across the CSX connection at the signal on Main 2 and the area where Main 1 and the train storage tracks will be built. The building in the center is for signal equipment. The building to the right is a storage building for the train storage yard.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Bonus Pictures:
20230902-CP43-5-DunePark.jpg
Begin CTC - where trains enter CTC (centralized train control) at Dune Park. The dispatcher controls track switches and signals from here (CP 43.5) to South Bend.
20230902-10thSt-Sheridan.jpg
10th St and the new alignment as viewed from the public trail that runs north of the tracks.
10th St is scheduled to close Tuesday to remove the last section of street running track (already disconnected).
The track running off to the left goes to Lincoln Yard ... the yard that serves the NIPSCO plant.

In other observations:
All streets are open in Michigan City except 11th St along the tracks.
Work has begun on Michigan Ave to remove the left turn from Michigan to 11th St.
Work is scheduled to begin in about a week on crossings east of Michigan Ave - upgrades that will allow a quiet zone through Michigan City.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

This week's update is broken up into three posts ...
First, in Michigan City. The removal of track from 10th St has begun. Completion is scheduled for the end of September.
20230909-10thSt-Amtrak.jpg
20230909-10thSt-Willard2.jpg