Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.

Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby Jochs » Wed May 29, 2019 2:58 am

A driver northbound on S.R. 15 in Warsaw lost control of his car and struck a parked train.
http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/27/area-accident-reports-2163/
The story says the car struck a boxcar, but a photo I saw showed what looked like a hopper.
This report says he drove home.
https://www.newsnowwarsaw.com/warsaw-injured-after-hitting-parked-train-on-old-15/?fbclid=IwAR2mrCu7h25wvZMalANym_9KKQloSS5gyP4MtWBODx7hkdl6oGy1QkieGsI
Based on a photo by a witness, I doubt the guy drove home in this.
warsawcarwrek.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 6 and a half years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1
User avatar
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: On my laptop!

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby DaveO » Wed May 29, 2019 9:47 am

That is one of the worst news articles I have ever read, starting with the headline...
"Warsaw injured after hitting parked train on Old 15"
The whole town was injured?
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby Jochs » Wed May 29, 2019 5:53 pm

DaveO wrote:That is one of the worst news articles I have ever read, starting with the headline...
"Warsaw injured after hitting parked train on Old 15"
The whole town was injured?


I know. And the photo doesn't really look like the car was able to be driven away, and that doesn't really look like a boxcar in the photo, either.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 6 and a half years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1
User avatar
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: On my laptop!

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby Saturnalia » Thu May 30, 2019 12:17 am

Everything about this situation and article makes me question what's in the water down there :lol: :roll:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 317"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13654
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby justalurker66 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 am

Saturnalia wrote:Everything about this situation and article makes me question what's in the water down there :lol: :roll:

Leesburg ... on OLD SR 15 between CP 19 and CP 21. If he "drove home" that photo must have been taken by someone who didn't stop to help. More likely he WALKED home (his address is given as old SR 15). And it wasn't a good weekend for the driver ... on Sunday he hit a parked train. On Thursday he was arrested for domestic battery and posted a $1000 bond.

$25k-$50k damage to the train?
User avatar
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 am

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby PatAzo » Thu May 30, 2019 12:38 pm

http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/26/b ... -by-train/

Accuracy free news.... The train struck the car or the car struck the train.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 859
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby Jochs » Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if two incidents occurred, this one and one where a guy hit a boxcar and drove off.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 6 and a half years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1
User avatar
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: On my laptop!

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby Standard Railfan » Thu May 30, 2019 10:58 pm

I am convinced that the photo in the original post was not of a car that struck a stationary railcar. The rubber peeled off the rim indicates the car was dragged some distance. With enough searching, one might be able to find that image associated with a different incident.
User avatar
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm
Location: Marquette, MI

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby justalurker66 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Standard Railfan wrote:I am convinced that the photo in the original post was not of a car that struck a stationary railcar. The rubber peeled off the rim indicates the car was dragged some distance. With enough searching, one might be able to find that image associated with a different incident.

See http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/26/b ... -by-train/ linked by PatAzo

Both sides of the car are shown. The driver's side has the outside of the door missing. The passenger side looks fairly good. From the passenger side one can see markers in the background for buried fiber. The car didn't disturb them, so either the car was on the rails when it passed the markers or the impact happened north of the markers. I don't see disturbance in the ballast,and the other three tires on the car seem to have survived.

The time of the incidents match but the descriptions do not. The more I read the less I know. :shock:
User avatar
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1398
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:51 am

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby Jochs » Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 pm

justalurker66 wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:I am convinced that the photo in the original post was not of a car that struck a stationary railcar. The rubber peeled off the rim indicates the car was dragged some distance. With enough searching, one might be able to find that image associated with a different incident.

See http://www.inkfreenews.com/2019/05/26/b ... -by-train/ linked by PatAzo

Both sides of the car are shown. The driver's side has the outside of the door missing. The passenger side looks fairly good. From the passenger side one can see markers in the background for buried fiber. The car didn't disturb them, so either the car was on the rails when it passed the markers or the impact happened north of the markers. I don't see disturbance in the ballast,and the other three tires on the car seem to have survived.

The time of the incidents match but the descriptions do not. The more I read the less I know. :shock:

I have the feeling that there are no photos of the incident, and that the guy did drive the car away, then reported the accident later.
Jeff O.
Celebrating over 6 and a half years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1
User avatar
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer
 
Posts: 6417
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 pm
Location: On my laptop!

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby hoborich » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:26 pm

The media have been known to use "file photos" for stories.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".
hoborich
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 2903
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:05 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Parked Train Struck by Vehicle in Warsaw.

Unread postby kd_1014 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:25 am

Haha "Norfolk & Southern"
Why are all the fun things illegal?
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids


Return to Indiana Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

x