EWR Upgrades

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.

EWR Upgrades

Unread postby Reading » Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Hello, i'm new here but anyway, The Elkhart & Western Has been Upgrading The Line Between Currant Road and Bittersweet i think They Built a Siding and did some stuff to the End of the Line where it use to Continue to the GTW, I'm not sure but i'll look into the Siding more Tomorrow.
Reading
Railroadfan...fan

Re: EWR Upgrades

Unread postby SD80MAC » Wed May 08, 2019 8:22 am

Is this the Elkhart & Western in Elkhart proper, or the Argos line?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread postby Reading » Wed May 08, 2019 4:03 pm

It's The Elkhart Branch.
Reading
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby GreatLakesRailfan » Sun May 26, 2019 11:39 am

Reading wrote:Hello, i'm new here but anyway, The Elkhart & Western Has been Upgrading The Line Between Currant Road and Bittersweet i think They Built a Siding and did some stuff to the End of the Line where it use to Continue to the GTW, I'm not sure but i'll look into the Siding more Tomorrow.

My understanding is that it didn't connect to the GTW. It served the Uniroyal plant in downtown Mishawaka, which was a bunch of empty fields between the commercial district and the river 15 years ago.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Dajudge » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 am

Hey Great Lakes Railfan, the original E&W from Elkhart did indeed connect to the GTW at main street in Mishawaka at the now gone freight station, also on Main street. Back to the east, just east of Merrifield Street there was a "Y" with the E&W coming in from the northeast and one branch would follow the river to the south across the river bridge at Central Park and on to Ball Band (later Uniroyal). The third branch of the Y would extend directly west behind Jordan Ford dealership across main and attach to the freight house siding. I grew up in that neighborhood and got in a lot of mischief there.
Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Indiana Talk