Monon SW1

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.

Monon SW1

Unread postby redcrumbox » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Monon SW1 50 transformed to a calf after unfortunate accident. Loco was in the process of moving to Logansport.

(face-book link)
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5CA8D6C8
redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Monon SW1

Unread postby Super Chief » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Well looks like the trucking service wasn't too reliable. What a shame, trucker hit a bridge or what's the details?
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby EWRice » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 pm

The irony of it all is that they hit an NS bridge. I read that the clearance was 14' 5" or such on the bridge. An SW is 14' 6 1/2" from rail head to cab top. They had it loaded on beams (sans trucks) but still had the steps on. From the pictures I saw, she was sitting pretty high for the steps to clear the road. Somebody in a heap of trouble. :shock:
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby GreatLakesRailfan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:37 pm

EWRice wrote:The irony of it all is that they hit an NS bridge. I read that the clearance was 14' 5" or such on the bridge. An SW is 14' 6 1/2" from rail head to cab top. They had it loaded on beams (sans trucks) but still had the steps on. From the pictures I saw, she was sitting pretty high for the steps to clear the road. Somebody in a heap of trouble. :shock:

They didn't hit the NS bridge. They hit the old US24/35 bridge over SR25 on the south side of Logansport. If I understand things correctly, they should have gone over the overpass, not under it.

There's an updated version of the Trains story available now, with the correct bridge location.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Indiana Talk