IN Supreme Court to See Case About Fining Railroads

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

IN Supreme Court to See Case About Fining Railroads

Unread post by Jochs »

Here is an article about the IN Supreme Court considering the validity of local governments fining the railroads for blocking crossings for more than 10 minutes.
http://wsbt.com/news/regional/indiana-s ... -railroads
The IN Supreme Court is considering allowing trains to park at crossings.
http://www.wndu.com/content/news/Trains ... 32551.html
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IN Supreme Court to See Case About Fining Railroads

Unread post by justalurker66 »

"With the law removed, trains would be legally able to stop at an intersection indefinitely."

Current laws:
8-6-7.5-1. Blocking railroad crossings unlawful -- Exception.
It shall be unlawful for a railroad corporation to permit any train, railroad car or engine to obstruct public travel at a railroad-highway grade crossing for a period in excess of ten (10) minutes, except where such train, railroad car or engine cannot be moved by reason of circumstances over which the railroad corporation has no control.

8-6-7.5-2. Obstructing vehicular movement unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for a railroad corporation to permit successive train movements to obstruct vehicular traffic at a railroad-highway grade crossing until all vehicular traffic previously delayed by such train movements has been cleared or a period of five (5) minutes has elapsed between train movements.

8-6-7.5-3. Violations -- Penalty.
A railroad corporation, conductor, or engineer who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction. However, no conductor or engineer acting under the rules or orders of the railroad corporation or its supervisory personnel may be prosecuted for such a violation.