Spending Some Time on the Madison RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Spending Some Time on the Madison RR

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

Our film crew was traveling to the Clinchfield Railroad to cover the 75th Anniversary run of the Santa Train later that same weekend and decided to catch some mainline action on the former Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Indiana Subdivision before continuing further south. With a population of just under 7,000, North Vernon is your typical southern-Indiana small town. Downtown is rustic, with many unique shops and restaurants open for business. The Madison Railroad connects with CSX at North Vernon and shares a diamond with the Class I railroad at the depot. On this cold and dreary day, we would witness CSX manifest train Q504-16 traveling east on the former B&O mainline as it made its way through North Vernon.

The Q504 is a daily manifest train that utilizes the Louisville & Indiana Railroad from Louisville, Kentucky to Seymour, Indiana, where it then turns to run eastbound over the B&O to Cincinnati. While eastbound trains between Louisville and Cincinnati utilize the B&O line, the westbound trains between the two cities utilize the LCL Subdivision between Covington and Louisville, Kentucky. Though, eastbound trains on the LCL are a daily occurrence as well. Since the filming of this video, the traffic patterns have changed on the Indiana Sub.

On Friday the 17th, we ventured to the site of the former Jefferson Proving Ground north of Madison, Indiana. There, a train crew from the city-owned Madison Railroad was preparing to depart the proving ground with three coaches and a caboose for the shortline’s annual Santa Trains out of North Vernon that weekend. With the railroad’s shop and small yard being located in the proving ground, one of the Madison Railroad’s business models is car storage and is evident by the many stored freight cars spread out on various tracks throughout the property. We gained special access to the Madison and were grateful for the railroad’s hospitality, who went as far as allowing us to place a camera on the locomotive as it made the journey to North Vernon.

The Madison Railroad’s no. 3 is an SW1500 locomotive that was built in 1970 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors for the Toledo, Peoria & Western Railroad. The locomotive spent its time in yard and local freight service before being acquired by NASA in 1984, where it would spend the next thirty years moving space shuttle components around NASA property at Cape Canaveral. In 2015, the Madison Railroad acquired the locomotive through government surplus. Today, the number 3 still wears the NASA Railroad scheme with a unique Madison Railroad logo that features the space shuttle. We have included a short clip from the Kennedy Space Center’s YouTube Channel that showcases the number 3’s truck replacement from the year 2012.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Spending Some Time on the Madison RR

Unread post by AARR »

DIB, I like your videos. They are high quality IMHO.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

New Promo Video for the Madison

Check out Madison Railroad’s new promo video and logo, unveiled on our YouTube Channel.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Well done, DIB. I think they mentioned two of the active customers and several potential customers. Would you happen to know who the active customers are?
DelayInBlock wrote:New Promo Video for the Madison

Check out Madison Railroad’s new promo video and logo, unveiled on our YouTube Channel.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...