NS Accident in Gary today

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GaryIndianaRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

NS Accident in Gary today

Unread post by GaryIndianaRailFan »

A friend has told me of an accident on the old NKP/NS line in Gary. Possible a car was hit, train stopped just short or just after Kentucky Street. The car may have been hit at Delaware Street or Georgia Street. Anybody know anything about it? I haven't been able to find any news.
“...what thrills me about trains is not their size or their equipment but the fact that they are moving, that they embody a connection between unseen places.”
― Marianne Wiggins

GaryIndianaRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Accident in Gary today

Unread post by GaryIndianaRailFan »

Found it.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... the-latest

"GARY — A man died Monday night after falling into the path of a oncoming train in the city's Glen Park section, officials said.

The 51-year-old Gary man was walking with a friend in the 4100 block of Delaware Street when he attempted to beat the train by running across the tracks, police Lt. Thomas Pawlak said.

The man's 57-year-old friend told police the 51-year-old slipped and fell on the tracks before he was struck by the train.

The man died from blunt force trauma, according to the Lake County coroner's office. The death was ruled an accident.

The man's name has not yet been released, pending notification of family.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene at 8:08 p.m., said Scott Sefton, chief deputy for the coroner's office.

Anyone with information is asked to call police Sgt. Michael Jackson at 219-881-7485."
“...what thrills me about trains is not their size or their equipment but the fact that they are moving, that they embody a connection between unseen places.”
― Marianne Wiggins