CSX CP in Dyer?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

CSX CP in Dyer?

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Just north of the Amtrak station in Dyer there is an existing wayside signal - currently one head in each direction.

A new signal has been installed at that location with what appears to be three heads for northbound traffic.
(I saw it near sunset so my picture is blurry.)
The new signal is not yet in service but the signal cabinet has a satellite dish on the top, so it appears to be a CP signal.

Does anyone have any information on this signal or other upgrades on this line?
CPDyer-Mar 19th17.jpg

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: CSX CP in Dyer?

Unread post by justin_gram »

I don't know much about that line, but here along the Grand Rapids Sub satellite dishes were installed within the last year on most of the signals, including intermediates.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX is migrating to a cellular-based system for signals, instead of radio-based ATCS. So that really isn't a sign of anything.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:CSX is migrating to a cellular-based system for signals, instead of radio-based ATCS. So that really isn't a sign of anything.
This signal is not currently a controlled point. The line is under Track Warrant Control except for a few controlled points near Lafayette and to the south.

The current signal is a single head intermediate in both directions. The new northbound signal is multiple heads and a satellite dish.

Intermediates reporting via satellite??? It that part of CSXs PTC plan?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Yeah the intermediates on CSX PTC enabled lines have data communication.

It's not always every intermediate. I have seen where they will have one intermediate on data, and the two nearby intermediates have a data link via radio to the data equipped intermediate.

If you want to see more, use google earth to look at the Indianapolis line where US 36 and IN 67 run together with the railroad.

As to the signal above. It looks like a new intermediate with enhanced information for the new Maynard interlocking CSX is Installing.
CSX is trying to ditch the GTW era equipment as I guess the stuff is a complete pain in the arse to patch into the CSX equipment.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Also a chance the monon becomes the straight rail lineup at Maynard to one of the two ex GTW mains. I guess the ex GTW line is DEADSVILLE between Maynard and Griffith.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I found another picture I took where the new signal was present and a number plate could be seen at the bottom. Definitely an intermediate.

I'm not sure a "straight" lineup would help much. Isn't this a 25 MPH curve? What are the CN crossover speeds?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

I am not sure to be honest. The GTW home signal for the monon is a 3 over 3 affair. Which is decidedly different from CSX practice for the line.

I wonder if they mean to keep the GTW signal aspects on the leased line.
CSX would -not- normally put up a 3/1/2 distant intermediate here. It doesn't fit their speed based signaling scheme.

So A, ether CSX is keeping the CN route based signal aspects on the line west of Munster (CN and current CSX name) Maynard (Monon and CSX name until the line was diverted)
Or B, the Monon will become a straight route with a possible slow speed secondary route.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The June 8th 2013 revision to CORA (Chicago Operating Rules Association) reflecting CSX assuming control of CN shows speed based signals. So it appears Munster and to the west were converted. (2011 CN CORA shows the track with route based signals.)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I believe there may be a problem with the camera angle. The current northbound signal is two lights (yellow and red) allowing for Approach and Restricted Proceed. The southbound signal is three lights (adding Clear).

I believe the new northbound signal is 2 over 1 over 2 with no green at the top. It only appears to be three at the top because the new nortbound signal head is there (both turned to field).

CSX has a Yellow over Red over Green aspect (1284) "APPROACH SLOW" "Proceed, approaching next signal not exceeding Slow Speed."
So assuming that the top is yellow/red, the center is red and the bottom is green/red the possible aspects would be:
1284 APPROACH SLOW
1285 APPROACH (prepared to stop at next signal)
1291 RESTRICTED PROCEED (proceed at restricted speed)

The new aspect would let the train crew know the difference between the next signal being stop or a less restricting aspect.
I did not look for a new home signal at CP Munster, but 1 over 1 over 3 would provide STOP, SLOW APPROACH and SLOW CLEAR.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Then it's fairly straightforward. The new home signal for Munster/Maynard off the monon will be a slow speed signal.