Proposed Passenger Rail from Chicago to Columbus, OH.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Proposed Passenger Rail from Chicago to Columbus, OH.

Unread post by justin_gram »

http://wsbt.com/news/local/a-passenger- ... estination

Sounds like a new passenger route between Chicago and Columbus running through Fort Wayne could become reality in the next 4 years. Click the link.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: Proposed Passenger Rail from Chicago to Columbus, OH.

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Sounds like the MiTrain, I'll believe it when I see it rolling down the track.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

According to ABC 57, it will create 12,000 construction jobs and over 26,000 permenant jobs as it links 100 cities.
Something tells me those might be slightly exaggerated numbers.

On of the stops will be in Plymouth. Maybe they will restore the Plymouth depot while they are at it!
I save lives. What do you do?

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

If we could somehow ignore the obvious problems setting it up, lets assume it is already there.

Who is going to ride it? Will Joe Public from Columbus ride the train to Chicago, get dropped off and have to depend on public (not free) transportation, or will he drive the distance and still be able to use his own car? Will he leave when it's convenient for him, or when the train is scheduled? Will he leave Chicago when he's ready, or cut his time short to make the train home?

Even if it could be a reality (which it won't), it would never come close to sustaining itself, and just be another thing the Government will have to assume. Then what? Look at Amtrak-created in 1971, still unable to make a profit at age 45. That's 45 years of money coming out of the Government handbag.

For it to be high speed, it would have to be on its own, isolated right of way. The Fort Wayne Line goes right through the middle of every town it touches. Lima wouldn't even let CSX run 40 on the Toledo Sub through town, how fast would they let anything else?

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the most railroad oriented people I know. This whole thing just has no common sense. I have an issue of Rails Northeast at home with an article about Ohio High Speed Rail. It's from 1983. The fact it hasn't happened by now should be a clue as the the feasibility of the idea.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

cr6903 wrote: Who is going to ride it? Will Joe Public from Columbus ride the train to Chicago, get dropped off and have to depend on public (not free) transportation, or will he drive the distance and still be able to use his own car? Will he leave when it's convenient for him, or when the train is scheduled? Will he leave Chicago when he's ready, or cut his time short to make the train home?
I mean this is how most people who take he current routes into Chicago do it, and it works fine. It can be cheaper to take busses and taxis than park and pay the tolls in Chicago depending on what you are doing. But this really isn't a major concern if someone wants to go to Chicago.. I know plenty of people that drive to the outskirts and park at metro stations rather than drive downtown, that is if downtown is your destination.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown