NKP 624 will be heading to Fort Wayne

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

NKP 624 will be heading to Fort Wayne

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Just announced that NKP 624 and the rolling stock which is on display in Hammond will be joining 765 in Fort Wayne.

For those of you familiar with the setup down there how exactly will they be able to get 624 out? Pretty sure they will roll it on NS but will panel tracking it to live rail be an easy task or a challenge?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NKP 624 will be heading to Fort Wayne

Unread post by NS3322 »

Vandals have done horrible things to the locomotive and the cars behind it. I've wanted to see this locomotive in person, but it is in a very high crime area. I'm glad she will be moving to Fort Wayne. :D
Photo by Gary Everhart

Just look what vandals did to the South Shore caboose on display behind the engine...
Photo by Joe Usselman

Photo by Joe Usselman

And don't forget about the incident in 2006, where 4 people were living in the old boxcar...
4 arrested on trespass charges for living in Nickel Plate train exhibit

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: NKP 624 will be heading to Fort Wayne

Unread post by MQT1223 »

The good thing is all of this damage is reversible. The roof can be replaced and the reefer looks somewhat solid.

I will say that most of the responsibility of the locomotives' care fell upon the city of Hammond and they failed to keep their end of the bargain on keeping the locomotive in good cosmetic condition.

Glad Hammond picked a 5 star organization to give 624 to, it will be in good hands.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)