Chicago and Western Indiana RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Chicago and Western Indiana RR

Unread post by jrgerber »

Question: How much of this lines rail is still being used today? I just got the new book that's out on the history and it would have been nice if they had put in a current (2016) map showing trackage used if any and by who.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Chicago and Western Indiana RR

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Dolton to 21st Street is all intact. There may be some tracks missing in places. Like Root street where Metra has to swing onto the PRR alignment to get around the CJ connections
Metra owns the northern portion
UP owns the southern section

82nd street to Pullman Junction is all intact
NS owns this section.

There are a couple other bits and pieces
NS has moved the NKP right of way onto the CWI west of State Line to facilitate an auto yard, but it swings back onto the NKP to go over the NKP draw bridge

I think there is a small portion used to access industries near the CW&I draw, but it's not much.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Thanks, it amazes me that the entire Dearborn Station area is now an housing office complex. On a related note, what happened to the E-Ls Hammond IN yard?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

The C&WI had the overwhelming majority of its trackage in Illinois. There couldn't have been more than a few hundred feet in Indiana.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

railohio wrote:The C&WI had the overwhelming majority of its trackage in Illinois. There couldn't have been more than a few hundred feet in Indiana.
The C&WI charter ended at the state line and became the Erie right there.
The Monon lead was a bit fuzzy, as it was never explictly stated where the demarc was on that.