Elkhart's "Railroad Trespass Abatement Program"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Elkhart's "Railroad Trespass Abatement Program"

Unread post by Jochs »

Elkhart City and NS Railroad police took part in a "Railroad Trespass Abatement Program" last week, patrolling the tracks for trespassers. 43 warnings were issued, and 9 people were arrested.
http://wsbt.com/news/local/elkhart-prog ... -railroads
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart's "Railroad Trespass Abatement Program"

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Anyone who has ever spent any time at the train station in Elkhart has seen people routinely crossing the tracks west of the station and the museum. It had always surprised me that NS Police never really seemed to care to do anything about it. :?: :shock:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

There's a big difference between locals looking and briefly crossing railroad tracks, and kids or foamers playing or wandering along the tracks. Many times, a railroad track divides a community, and it makes no sense to walk several blocks or more to a crossing just to get to the other side.Just my opinion.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I feel the same as hoborich but I'm told that according to the railroad police statistics they all pose an equal danger threat of injury and therefore are treated the same.
hoborich wrote:There's a big difference between locals looking and briefly crossing railroad tracks, and kids or foamers playing or wandering along the tracks. Many times, a railroad track divides a community, and it makes no sense to walk several blocks or more to a crossing just to get to the other side.Just my opinion.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The city has given the residents of the old roundhouse area until August 31st to pack up and move on. I am surprised that NS Police are not better patrolling the "crossing" at 6th St. Perhaps when the woods is emptied there will be less people to catch.

The rebuild of CP 421 should also affect trespassers as the interlocking is expanded west. Walking through the middle of an interlocking will attract more attention than crossing tracks outside of an interlocking.

NS and city police have cracked down before ... the closed crossing east of Main and the tracks near Concord Mall see their fair share of trespassers and enforcement. The City of Goshen has their own problems due to closing crossings on the north side. Perhaps after a few dozen arrests and fines people will get the hint and stay off the tracks. Until it is time for the next crackdown.

If it isn't a legal crossing then crossing is illegal. It doesn't matter to me if one lives near the tracks or visiting from afar. Don't trespass.