NW Indiana PTC project.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NW Indiana PTC project.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I wonder if the westbounds at CP 448 will be changed out or have a head added to make three (and allow for M-A-M in advance of an approach at 450). As shown by CP 412 and CP 417 not every CP with only one intermediate before the next CP has three heads. So there must be some other influence. The eastbounds (toward 446) are the ones 9xs posted the shot of. And that is a stretch with four intermediates before CP 437. NS likes to line up trains between CP 437 and CP 448 as they wait for Elkhart Yard - and it is a higher speed section of track so perhaps some signal engineer believes M-A-M is needed.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

For reference:
CP 412 has two heads each track westbound and eastbound. Westbound originally had three heads but the lowest head was removed before the new CP was activated. Westbound next signal is intermediate 414 then CP 417. Eastbound there are currently six intermediates before CP 397 (one set of intermediates will be removed as part of the PTC upgrade).

CP 417 has two heads eastbound (toward 414 and CP 412) and three heads westbound (toward 419 and CP 421).

CP 421 has three heads westbound and eastbound. The top heads leaving North Freight, South Freight and the Kalamazoo Branch are single red lights. Track 3 westbound (to CP 423) is missing the top green and bottom green (no clear or M-A-M) ... the only medium moves on track 3 would be to the yard (Medium Approach given to trains entering the yard). Track 1 eastbound (to 419) is missing the bottom green (no M-A-M).

CP 423 has three heads westbound and eastbound. Track 3 westbound has a single red light as the top head (no clear or approach). Trains leaving the yard can be given a clear signal eastbound to Track 3.

CP 426 has three heads westbound and eastbound. The three tracks leaving the yard have a single red light as the top head. Eastbound the next main line signals are intermediates at 424 then CP 423. Westbound there are three intermediate signals before CP 435.

CP 435 has three heads westbound and eastbound. The South Bend Signaled Siding has a red light as the top head. Eastbound the next main line signals are three intermediates before CP 426. Westbound CP 437 is next. The westbound NYC signals remain.

CP 437 has three heads westbound and eastbound. The top head leaving the South Bend Signaled Siding and Oliver Lead are single red lamps. CN signals are a single red lamp over a second head (no third head on CN - all routes "diverging"). Eastbound CP 435 is next. Westbound there are four intermediates before CP 448.

CP 448 is under re-construction. Will be two heads westbound and three heads eastbound (plus westbound dwarfs).

CP 453 has three heads westbound and eastbound. Eastbound there is one intermediate before CP 448. Westbound there are three intermediates before CP 462.

CP 462 has two heads westbound and eastbound. The eastbound heads do not have a green on the lower head. This is a diamond.

CP 463 has three heads westbound and eastbound on the mains.

CP 466 has two heads westbound on tracks 1 and 2 (no bottom green on track 1 WB). The Laporte Signaled Siding has three heads WB on the same cantilever (1 over 3 over 2).

The "three heads at interlockings" seems to be more common than not CP 417 to CP 463 ... with the bottom green lamp.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

might be doing 448 today

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

448 is cut over.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

Can you send the bulletin info for reference?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

cp448a.png
Here is what I see ...
Switches West to East
AEA/1EA and BEA/2EA seem to be working in tandem.
1WA/AWA and 2WA/BWA work the same as the east approaches at CP 437.
1TK is track 1 ... ATK is the Gavilon Grain track within the interlocking.
2TK is track 2 ... BTK seems to mirror 2TK (even with trains entering IN Tek).
I believe K61 is local control.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

I saw the duplicate TK, but from the info I have, it was only supposed to be for the diverging route. I wonder how soon they will realize it and correct it.

I did post a revised kit to the group last night, but Yahoo did not acknowledge any of the 5 kits I uploaded last night.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:I saw the duplicate TK, but from the info I have, it was only supposed to be for the diverging route. I wonder how soon they will realize it and correct it.

I did post a revised kit to the group last night, but Yahoo did not acknowledge any of the 5 kits I uploaded last night.

Yahoo has been messed up, you just have to reupload the kit until it shows up in the directory.

448 looks a bit rushed. Not sure why where are two blocks to the west when there is only one intermediate to 453.
And those dupe TK circuits on 2, really weird. Almost like the insulated joint did not get installed or not installed right.

In other NW Indiana news. NS is suposedly adding more IHB interchange tracks in the 503 to 505 area. Probably around where the BP yards were.

Otherwise. I think the signal gangs will wind down for the winter break. Probably start on NE Indiana next year. LOT of stuff out there to do.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

The kits made it in, despite getting an error message. There was no group announcement - actually no group postings for over a day, so something is hosed up. Other Yahoo Groups are getting postings though.

We will have to keep an eye out for changes in the 503-505 area.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

They're building a staging yard in Whiting, similar to the one in Swanton.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Has anyone been by the Whiting staging yard area recently to check the status?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

CJ Dispatchers will no longer be stationed at Ashland Avenue Yard Terminal effective, Thursday, September 20, 2018, 7am. CJ territory will be dispatched by Chicago West dispatchers. All radio channels will remain the same.

The lift bridge operator at Cummings is also soon to loose control of that CTC.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Presumably for Atlanta consolidation. Maybe Cummins Bridge will finally get put on the air.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

tttodisp wrote:Has anyone been by the Whiting staging yard area recently to check the status?
The construction is now on Google aerial images

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syf-jKB6rpw

1:37 has the dispatchers display from 485 westward

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Are one of you guys the keeper of the NS Chicago Line Aggregator? I'm looking for notes related to CP 485, 483, 482 and 497.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Question about the actual feed aggregator or the ATCS layout kit?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

tttodisp wrote:Question about the actual feed aggregator or the ATCS layout kit?
The kit.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

The kit is mine - what is the question?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

tttodisp wrote:The kit is mine - what is the question?
Do you have your notes for the mnemonics for the aforementioned control points? We’re trying to do a project with those CPs so it’d be nice not to have to decide them again.