NW Indiana PTC project.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

NW Indiana PTC project.

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Okay the last thing I heard is that that some of the older non PTC capable machines west (and east) of the Indiana Gateway Project will start being changed over. Possibly in conjunction with some crossover additions at some of the plants.

502 seems to be the first one. Crossovers were previously planned at CP 515,513,509 and 453 but the CPR panic caused a lot of cost cutting after that was posted so I am not sure that is still on.

Track 3 (old number 4) still needs upgraded for 261 operation between 509 and 507

509 for sure needs a new machine. The bridge is still run by a PRR era relay machine. It may have fancy new signals and GRS switch machines, but at it's heart. The US&S PRR interlocking still clicks away. US&S M2 bridge machines still operate the wedges.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NW Indiana PTC project.

12:30 a.m., Monday, 08-01-16

New Controlled Point CP 502 at MP CD 502.8

#11 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 502.7, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 4 Track
#9 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.7, for Westward movements from the Main 3 Track to the Main 2 Track.
#7 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.7, for Westward movements from the Main 4 Track to the Main 2 Track.
#5 power crossover has been installed at MP IHB 00.0, for Westward movements from the IHB Track to the CN Track.
#3 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 502.8, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the IHB Main 1 Track.
#1 power switch has been installed at MP IHB 00.0, for Westward movements from the IHB Track to the West Wye at 503 Track.

2W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a bridge mast signal at MP CD 502.7
4W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a bridge mast signal at MP CD 502.7
8W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a bridge mast signal at MP CD 502.7
10W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 4 track on a bridge mast signal at MP CD 502.7
12W Home Signal located to the right of the West Wye at 503 Track on a High signal mast at MP CD 502.7
14W Home Signal located to the right of the IHB Track on a High signal mast at MP IHB 00.0
16W Home Signal located to the right of the CN Track on a High signal mast at MP CN 8.7

2E Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 502.9
4E Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 502.9
6E Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 502.9
10E Signal located to the right of the IHB Main 2 track on a high mast at MP IHB 00.0
12E Signal located to the left of the IHB Main 1 track on a high mast at MP IHB 00.0
16E Signal located to the right of the CN Main track on a high mast at MP CN 8.6

Trap Release Instructions

This is located 5 foot in front of house at the diamond
labeled TRAP RESET TRAP RELEASE for CP 502

“AT CP502 WHEN A RED SIGNAL IS ENCOUNTERED, CONTACT THE NS
CHICAGO WEST DISPATCHER FOR INSTRUCTIONS. IF THE DISPATCHER
SCREEN INDICATES THE DIAMOND TRAP CIRCUIT HAS BEEN SET AND
THERE ARE NO OTHER TRAIN MOVES TAKING PLACE AT CP502 THEN THE
DISPATCHER MAY REQUIRE AN EMPLOYEE TO PHYSICALLY OPERATE THE
DIAMOND TRAP RELEASE PUSHBUTTON LOCATED ON A PEDESTAL IN THE
NE QUAD OF DIAMOND NEAR THE MAIN SIGNAL HOUSE. INSIDE THE
BOX IS A LAMP LIGHT AND A PUSHBUTTON AND INSTRUCTIONS. AS
PER THE INSTRUCTIONS THE EMPLOYEE SHOULD PUSH THE PUSHBUTTON
FOR AT LEAST THREE (3) SECONDS. THE LAMP SHOULD LIGHT
INDICATING THAT THE FUNCTION IS SUCCESSFUL.
LOCK THE BOX AFTER FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
AFTER THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE COMPLETED THE CHICAGO WEST
DISPATCHER SHOULD HAVE CONTROL OF THE SIGNALS AT THE RAILROAD
CROSSING AT GRADE.”

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

The old CP 502 died at 23:04 and 20 seconds.

New one up 00:54 and 46 seconds.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

96 bits! It should be interesting to see what additional information we get.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Last night after 502 went dark a westbound passed through CP 501 (1-1) at about 11:45pm CT.
All approaches to 501 were "OOS" except track 1 in both directions.
After the westbound (I assume Amtrak) track 1 went OOS.

I saw an eastbound go 2-2 at 502 this morning at 4am.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

It's quite entertaining now, all the westbounds are being run via Track 4 at 502 and 501.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting. I just noticed that they put the new interlockings this weekend were all put on CH5 instead of CH6 like they were.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

I braved driving the Chicago Skyway today......

Lots of work going on at CP 513. New signals going up on both sides despite it having the current standard signals. This would indicate that it's being reconfigured.

Supporting this guess is the fact that the westbound intermediate on number 1 at MP 511 now has a lower head. No need for this unless they are putting in a 1 to 2 crossover at 513 like they said they would.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:I braved driving the Chicago Skyway today......

Lots of work going on at CP 513. New signals going up on both sides despite it having the current standard signals. This would indicate that it's being reconfigured.

Supporting this guess is the fact that the westbound intermediate on number 1 at MP 511 now has a lower head. No need for this unless they are putting in a 1 to 2 crossover at 513 like they said they would.
What signal would be at 5111W for a westbound entering Park Manor?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Approach at 5111w into a restricting at 513

The lower head on 5111w is turned still.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

Somewhere (Indiana High-Speed Rail Project, I think) mentioned:

• Crossover projects - 515, 513, 509, 453

Perhaps this is starting.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Yes I posted that.

Unfortunately that presentation fell off the web and I didn't think to save it locally.
Someone did post there is a GAP in the new intermediates being put up at 453.

One thing I forgot, Both the EAS and WAS at 513 are being moved eastward about 50 to 100 yards or so.
I am guessing they are doing this to give the yard more headroom and put the new crossover on the east side of the existing three track ladder.

There is an outside chance they may turn one or both of the two unsignaled former mains north of the existing two between 513 and 509 into a controlled siding or something.
It certainly wouldn't take much.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:Somewhere (Indiana High-Speed Rail Project, I think) mentioned:

• Crossover projects - 515, 513, 509, 453

Perhaps this is starting.
They were listed in a presentation to the National Railroad Construction and Maintenance Association Conference in January 2015 (document no longer available on the source website - and apparently too big to attach).
Projects Underway
* Chicago Echo Wye Connection
* Chicago 47th Street Support Tracks
* Chicago Line Crossovers (CD 515,513,509 & 453)
* Indiana Gateway (7 Projects)
* Gary Airport Project
* CN City Track (Kirk Yard) Connection
* E. Hobart Power Switch
* Elkhart Coach Track Crossover
* Goshen, IN Dunlap Siding Extension
* Shinrock Siding
* Conway Crude Train Staging Tracks
The "Elkhart Coach Track Crossover" is 423 slated to get an additional crossover, making it a universal.

With the PTC project, NS/Interrail have placed replacement signals at most intermediate locations ... the last time I looked they had skipped the intermediates at 453. A cabinet had been delivered, but I saw no new signals.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

The new EAS CP 513 signal cantilever is just east of the Metra Electric/CN underpass. Been standing there bagged for probably a 1/2 to whole year.

The existing EAS signal is just to the west of the underpass.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

justin_gram wrote:The new EAS CP 513 signal cantilever is just east of the Metra Electric/CN underpass. Been standing there bagged for probably a 1/2 to whole year.

The existing EAS signal is just to the west of the underpass.
The new WAS is incomplete. It's only the upright portion.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

The new crossovers for CP 453 should be at MP 453.7.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:The new crossovers for CP 453 should be at MP 453.7.
Interrail skipped that location when placing the new intermediate signals late last year. There was a new signal cabinet dropped on the ROW near 700 E ... and the new PTC signals installed by Interrrail last year in Rolling Prairie and Hudson Lake have a second head for the approach elements.

I drove by the site today and there are no signs of construction (other than the lack of replacement signals for the current intermediates).

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

CP 513 changes.

12:01 a.m., Tuesday, 08-23.

Retire the existing 2W, 4W and 6W signals at at MP CD 513.3. Make extra effort to save for reuse

New stuff
New 2W 4W and 6W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a bridge mast 451 feet east of the old signal at MP CD 513.3

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

NS will have an absolute outage tonight between 2200 and 0600 to install new westbound signals at 513 and 511, as well as a new cantilever at 508.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

tttodisp wrote:NS will have an absolute outage tonight between 2200 and 0600 to install new westbound signals at 513 and 511, as well as a new cantilever at 508.
Not quite absolute, will have to get those Michigan nite owls home on 355

Dave