NW Indiana PTC project.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NW Indiana PTC project.

Unread post by tttodisp »

That came from an Amtrak source, but that's undoubtedly what NS told them.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

the last couple of times Amtrak was flagged through the outage area

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Last night should have been just the erection of the structures, actual cut over isn't for a bit.
They also performed some work on the bridge at 509.

This should see the last remaining D251 segment retired. That of the D251 West on Track 3 between 509 and 507. That alone should really shake things up. You will probably see most of the non Amtrak eastbound use that track.

I can not confirm, but 509 might see some significant realignment too.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

They are supposed to do additional crossover work at CP 509, but the big question is how much and where.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:They are supposed to do additional crossover work at CP 509, but the big question is how much and where.
Yeah I heard that too. But now I heard some rumblings of some major realignment on the east end, getting rid of diverging movements for mainline movements
(See paint drawing for what I am thinking they may do)
509possible.jpg
This would help not only mainline movements, but there is a movement from the BRC that goes to the lead north of #1 main. They have to switchback thru the interlocking at 509.

The new signals they put up at 513, 511 and 508 should tell us if that is the plan by looking at the heads.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

I wonder if adding a crossover from 2 to 1 WB at the east end would make sense to allow this move while also allowing an EB move from M2/BRC to M3 or the Runner.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:I wonder if adding a crossover from 2 to 1 WB at the east end would make sense to allow this move while also allowing an EB move from M2/BRC to M3 or the Runner.
The east end of 509 is so awkward, its a really bad PC/Conrail hatchet job.
They took a four track interlocking and hacked it up so that they could eliminate the bridge. They chose the south bridge because that was the easiest to keep using as many of the existing switches as they could.
hatchet job.jpg

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

tttodisp wrote:I wonder if adding a crossover from 2 to 1 WB at the east end would make sense to allow this move while also allowing an EB move from M2/BRC to M3 or the Runner.
My assumption was a crossover at the west end of the plant (left hand 2-1 EB / 1-2 WB) which would clear the path for BRC to use track 2 over the bridge for a slow move to Colehour or track 2 or 3 (new numbering) if the passing train was on track 1 east of the plant.

A realignment to make 1-1 and 2-2 non-diverging routes would be good. They would need a left hand turnout between 1 and 2 somewhere in the plant. I have not decided if I like that crossover east of the river or west of the river.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Here comes the new CP 513

12:01 a.m., Tuesday, 09-13-16

A new #5 power crossover has been installed at
MP CD 513.3, for Eastward movements from the Main 2 Track
to the Main 1 Track.

A new #3 power switch has been installed at MP CD 513.3,
for Eastward movements from the Main 1 Track to Main 2
Track

A new #1 power crossover has been installed at
MP CD 513.4, for Eastward movements from the 22 Running
Track to the Main 1 Track

2W Signal located over and to the right of
the 22 Running track on a bridge mast at MP CD 513.2

4W Signal located over and to the right
of the Main 1 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 513.2

6W Signal located over and to the right of
the Main 2 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 513.2

2E Signal located over and to the right
of the 22 Running track on a bridge mast at MP CD 513.4

4E Signal located over and to the right
of the Main 1 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 513.4

6E Signal located over and to the right
of the Main 2 track on a bridge mast at MP CD 513.4

Signal 5111W at MP CD 511.6
An Approach Medium Aspect has been added to the existing
Westward Signal 5111W

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

If I read that right, it will sort of be an upside down version of 507

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The way I read it, it sounds like #1 and #3 are the current crossovers (or replacements for the current) and #5 is a left hand crossover east of the other two. (I wish it didn't list the two crossovers on the mains as the same mile marker.) More like CP 494 except Track 22 continues to the east instead of being a derail. CP507 allows for parallel crossovers ... I don't see that in the description (22 to 1 is at a higher mile marker than the other two crossovers).

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

If NS follows their normal practice of numbering switches, this location will be different than CP 507. The way I read it, they will be adding the #5 switch to the east of the existing crossovers.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

New CP 509 in testing.

112bits mcp
64bits bcp

This can ONLY be CP 509. As this thing has beucoup switch bits. Needed for all those power derails, switches, and bridge wedges.
16 in total

Current CP 509 has 14 switch and derail bits, and one set of bits in the bottom 8 bits for the bridge wedges.

So I think the new 509 will have 1 or 2 more switches.

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

Looks like CP 463 in Laporte is ready to go. Signals, PTC antenna, everything.

Dave

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

There is a new Amtrak Michigan Subdivision #3 timetable coming out effective 10/26 and includes the new Chesterton siding (assuming that it will actually go into service then).

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

I am still seeing 7WG controls and indications at CP 482, so it would appear that the Amtrak siding is not in service yet, as Amtrak was supposed to take control of their CP 238 (westbound) back from NS.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Effective 12:30 PM, Wednesday, 10-26-16, the
following signal changes will be placed in service.

Electric Lock Mechanism has been installed at the
following location. This is approach locking only.

1. State Line switch located on Main 3 Track, Mile Post CD 508.3.

Pretty strong indication that Rule 261 operation is coming to Track 3.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Buckle up folks! NEW CP 509

Effective 12:30 AM, Sunday, 10-30-16

If I read this right. Only really NEW thing should be a new crossover at the very west end of the plant plus there will be separate derails on #1 and the CSL lead instead of a shared derail. Plus Rule 261 operation on the #3 main.

New Controlled Point CP 509 at MP CD 509.7

A new #29 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Westward movements on the Colehour Runner Track.
A new #27 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 2 Track.
A new #25 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.4, for Westward movements on the Main 1 Track.
A new #23 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.5, for Westward movements from the Chicago Short Line Track to the Main 1Track.
A new #21 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements on the Chicago Short Line Track.
A new #19 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.5, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track
A new #17 power switch has been installed at MP CD 502.6, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 1 Track.
A new #15 power switch and power derail has been installed at MP 509.6, for Eastward movements from the Main 2 Track to the River Line Track.
A new #13 power switch and power derail has been installed at MP 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the BRC Track.
A new #11 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 509.8,for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 1 Track.
A new #9 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Eastward movements on the Main 1 Track.
A new #7 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.8, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the 22Track.
A new #5 power Split Point Derail has been installed at MP CD 509.3, for Eastward movements on the Main 2 Track.
A new #3 power switch has been installed at MP CD 509.9, for Westward movements from the 22 Track to the 21Track.
A new #1 power switch has been installed at MP CD 510.0, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.

A new Westward 2WA Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a cantilever mast signal
A new Westward 2WD Home Signal located to the right of the Chicago Short Line on a High signal mast
A new Westward 4WD Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a cantilever mast
A new Westward 4WA Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a cantilever mast
A new Westward 8WA Home Signal located to the right of the Colehour Runner Track on a cantilever mast
A new Westward 8WD Home Signal located to the right of the River Line Track on a High signal mast

A new Eastward 2EA Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a cantilever mast
A new Eastward 2ED Home Signal located over and to the right of the 22 track on a cantilever mast
A new Eastward 2EG Home Signal located over and to the right of the 21 track on a cantilever mast
A new Eastward 6E Home Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a cantilever mast
A new Eastward 8E Home Signal located to the right of the BRC Track on a Dwarf signal

A new Eastward 5083E Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3
A new Westward 5081W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 1 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3
A new Westward 5082W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 2 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3
A new Westward 5083W Signal located over and to the right of the Main 3 track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 508.3

Aspect Changes Signal 5111W at MP CD 511.6
An Approach Medium and Approach Limited Aspects have been added to the existing Eastward Signal 5111E located over and to the right of the Main 1 Track on a cantilever mast
at MP CD 511.6.

A Clear Aspect has been removed from the existing Eastward Signal 5112E located over and to the right of the Main 2 Track on a cantilever mast at MP CD 511.6.
Last edited by LakeATCS on Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

And here is a surprise.... And NS is calling is CP Englewood. Not CP 516

Changes at Controlled Point CP Englewood at MP CD 515.8

Effective 12:30 AM, Monday, 10-31-16

The #7 power switch will now become the #9 power switch at MP CD 515.5, for Eastward movements from the Main 1 Track to the 22 Track.
The #5 power crossover will now become the #7 at MP CD 515.6, for Westward movements from the Main 1 Track to the Main 2 Track.
A new #5 power crossover has been installed at MP CD 515.7, for Westward movements from the Main 2 Track to the Main 1 Track.

The 4W and 2E signals have aspect changes to reflect the new crossover.

The 4E signal at CP 518 has been upgraded to reflect the new crossover as well.

It's also not a new interlocking. I guess Metra had upgraded the Englewood machine at some point and it's compatible with the NS PTC. Nice gift Metra left behind.