Say goodbye to the CTC on Watco north of Elkhart.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Say goodbye to the CTC on Watco north of Elkhart.

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Watco's dispatcher is in Pittsburg, KS.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

cbehr91 wrote:Watco's dispatcher is in Pittsburg, KS.
According to the ETT, they rely on NS dispatchers for the CTC section (MP 1.4 to 33.0).

I have found some conflicts between milepost locations. For example, the Grand Elk ETT lists Simpson St at 1.52 and the junction between NS and GDLK at 1.4. But that does not conform to the actual mileage along the tracks.

The 1999 Conrail Track Chart for the Kalamazoo Branch splits the line at MP 1.9. Page "100" is 0 to 1.9 (with Simpson St at 1.52). Page "101" picks up with 1.9 and higher numbers. The holdout signal (which is actually located east of Simpson St) is not shown on the Conrail Track Chart. Old mileage starting with "97" near what is now MP 0 counts down as the new mileage counts up. The signals shown on the Conrail Track Chart are labeled based on the old mileage and west or east travel (for example, 93W and 93E is the intermediate near CR 17/Morehouse). The Conrail Interlocking Diagrams also show west and east labels on home signals. The signals are not labeled north and south until Three Rivers in Conrail documentation.

The 2008 NS Track Chart solves the labing problem by not showing signal names. NS shows the holdout signal as being at "1.4" if following the scale on the diagram. The scale also puts Simpson St shy of 1.1,

The big challenge on every track chart I have seen is a mile is rarely 5280 ft. NS has KH 0 to KH 1 as 6600ft and KH 1 to KH 2 as 4220ft. Conrail had KH 0 to KH 1 as 4580ft. I have become accustomed to the difference in the length of a mile, but in this case I believe that the discrepancy has led to confusion.

Based on the 2008 NS Track Chart it would be easy to say the NS/GDLK division point is at MP 1.4 ... the holdout signal. On the Conrail chart I'd call it 1.9 since that fits in with the crossing mile markers and decision to start a new page at MP 1.9. I need to stop by the holdout signal and see if there is any signage. In any case ... the Kalamazoo Branch west of wherever the division point is, including the connection to E&W, remains owned and controlled by NS.

And, as noted in the Grand Elk ETT, the CTC section of the Grand Elk remains controlled by NS dispatchers in Dearborn.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I got as far as White Pigeon before it was too dark to see signals not near the road. The signs I could see were "W" and "E" labels using the old mileage shown on the Conrail charts.

There was no specific signage at the holdout signal (searchlight signals on right hand side in each direction).
93W/93E are tri-lights. I did not see 91W/91E. 89W/89E, 87W/87E and 85W/85E are searchlights (with 85E showing two heads).
CP 14 has searchlights (three heads EB, one head WB with the siding controlled by a two light dwarf).
CP 16 has searchlights (three heads WB, one head WB between the main and the siding).
"WP Jct" has a two light dwarf controlling WB trains entering Grand Elk from MSO.
And then it got too dark to see signs and signal heads.