CP 421 Upgrade

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP 421 Upgrade

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Posted by request.
The fence around the NS equipment
The fence around the NS equipment
A stack train heads east
A stack train heads east
The old signal bridge - now behind the fence
The old signal bridge - now behind the fence
BTW: I paced the train as I left the station. It was doing 30 MPH through the curve.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Some new construction around the Elkhart station today (9/7). New sidewalks are being added from each end of the station to the feeder ramp to the new platform. Also the handicap parking area on the east side of the station is getting new cement slabs. Station caretaker told me asphalt is coming soon to either cover or replace the bricks. We'll see.
Attachments
Handicap slabs going in on east end
Handicap slabs going in on east end
East end corner sidewalk
East end corner sidewalk
New west end sidewalk
New west end sidewalk

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

This past summer the NS folks have worked at installing / replacing the museum feeder siding. Looks reel nice, albeit jointed rail. Looks like NS plans to use it as a MOW equipment storage siding as well. Quite the win / win plan!
Attachments
New museum feed / MOW siding
New museum feed / MOW siding

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote:Some new construction around the Elkhart station today (9/7). New sidewalks are being added from each end of the station to the feeder ramp to the new platform. Also the handicap parking area on the east side of the station is getting new cement slabs. Station caretaker told me asphalt is coming soon to either cover or replace the bricks. We'll see.
It is good to see something level installed to access the ramps. While it would be nice to see the brick restored and leveled in the process, I doubt the city would want to pay for that restoration. The new sidewalks and handicap parking are welcome improvements.

I hope the surface of the handicap slots is similar to the parking on the west end of the building. That type of surface would work as a replacement for the old brick platform if it can't be restored. It looks like a fair size piece of the platform was removed for the sidewalk.

(I wonder if the one caretaker will drive across the new sidewalk to get to his parking space?)
The west handicap parking area (repaved in April 2017).
The west handicap parking area (repaved in April 2017).
Ahh memories.  It is good to see that the signal bridge still exists.
Ahh memories. It is good to see that the signal bridge still exists.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Concrete setting. No special surface.
Concrete setting. No special surface.
A new ramp to the building and sidewalk connection under construction.
A new ramp to the building and sidewalk connection under construction.
The path is narrow. Probably just wide enough to be compliant.
The path is narrow. Probably just wide enough to be compliant.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Well, I'm pleased to see this next phase being completed to better link the parking areas and depot waiting room area with the new EKH platform....but I will be sad if the bricks are simply covered up with asphalt. The platform bricks are at least as old as the station building which means they have been a character-defining feature of the station area for the past 118 years, probably arriving by LS&MS boxcar directly from the Harper-Norton brickyard in Conneaut, Ohio. Additional infill bricks are actually street pavers from other nearby Elkhart streets. I can understand the city not wishing the bear the expense of maintaining/restoring the brick back to perfect level, but I do hope at least a portion of the bricks remain visible (hard to argue with a paving material that has at least a 118-year lifespan....) Side note: covering them with asphalt is not a good idea....you can see what has happened with other areas of asphalt already covering bricks - heaving, cracking, breaking away.

Also, based on the photos (thanks Justalurker!), not only are new sidewalks being laid, but a new ADA ramp is being installed to the waiting room door, which hopefully signifies the City's/Amtrak's desire to continue to have the waiting room open for passengers even though it is now farther from the functioning platform.

Here are a few photos of the Elkhart bricks....enjoy!
Much of the Elkhart platform brick was still nicely laid out in courses...this area was not but offered a good example of the Harper-Norton name.
Much of the Elkhart platform brick was still nicely laid out in courses...this area was not but offered a good example of the Harper-Norton name.
An area of brick infill at center helped to level out what had been a dangerous depression.  How do I know?  I reinstalled the bricks!  An earlier brick repair used slightly higher glazed bricks surrounding.
An area of brick infill at center helped to level out what had been a dangerous depression. How do I know? I reinstalled the bricks! An earlier brick repair used slightly higher glazed bricks surrounding.
100-year old meets nearly brand new in 2016.  While the bricks aren't needed for train boarding any longer, they do contribute to the character of boarding a train at Elkhart, a rarity nowadays.
100-year old meets nearly brand new in 2016. While the bricks aren't needed for train boarding any longer, they do contribute to the character of boarding a train at Elkhart, a rarity nowadays.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

If you haven't already noticed.

Bing maps has updated the birds eye view images showing the revised track. Not the best series to see the changes but they are there.
The changes aren't reflected in the aerial view, you must use the birds eye view.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Bing isn't giving me the "Birds Eye" option. :(

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

justalurker66 wrote:Bing isn't giving me the "Birds Eye" option. :(
Right click on the map then select birds eye.

Also start just east of the station. That will give you the more recent images.
The image stitching around the station will give you some older ones.
Just keep moving around until you get the newer ones.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Did they finish the concrete sidewalks? Was the brick former platform removed or where the concrete routes just laid through the brick leaving it intact?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The bricks remain.
CP421-190105.jpg

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Looks good, thanks for sharing justalurker!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Well it was reported the old signal bridge at Elkhart depot was being dismantled today. Any info on it as to why and by whom?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

So far the signals have been removed ...
CP421-190905a.jpg
CP421-190905b.jpg

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

CP421 Old Main 1 & 2 overhead signal is now gone. According to the workers it is not going to the museum as widely thought. It is going to the scrap yard. Cut down this morning by torch. Long live the signal bridge. How many 20th Century Limited's have gone under her.....
Attachments
New skyline
New skyline
There she is.....
There she is.....

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Cut in too many pieces for a move. Sorry to see it go but it nearly was taken down the night of the CP 421 upgrade. We got a couple of bonus years.

Pictures taken Saturday evening.
20190906a.jpg
20190906b.jpg